none
Virtual Disk Service dies when we format our NVME SSD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a NVME SSD card that is fully functional on Linux. We are trying to get it to work on Windows Server 2016 using inbox stornvme driver.

On Windows I'm able to use the SSD card as a raw device. I can run FIO read/writes and I can also read/write using test programs I wrote. However, when I try to format the SSD device, Virtual Disk Service dies. I've tried NTFS/FAT/FAT32 and also different  disk sizes. But it makes no difference, VDS always dies.

To debug this issue, I switched to Windows 7 and used the OFA NVME driver. Using OFA driver I can see that all commands sent to the SSD device complete successfully.

Any pointers on how we can debug this issue?

thanks for your help

Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:38 PM

All replies

• I can't give you pointers about debugging the original problem, but the OFA driver is a piece of garbage.   There are filter drivers that will show you the SCSI commands going into the Storport driver, so you can understand what is being sent to your device.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:44 PM
  • I`m facing with the same issue. My VDS works in linux and able to format in Linux. But VDS format is failing in windows 10, windows 2016 server and windows 2012 server. But my VDS does not die, it keeps on resetting, with event id 129 from stornvme driver.

May i know is this your issue resolved? If yes, can you give me details like how you resolved the issue?

• Edited by aumamahesh Friday, November 1, 2019 7:45 AM
    Friday, November 1, 2019 7:44 AM