Unable to get Developer License on win8.1

Question

• When trying to get a new developer license (tho i wasnt expecting to do this for a few more days) I put in my credentials and get 'We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8.1  Error 0x80190191: Unauthorized (401).'

It has been nearly exactly one month since I installed Win8.1 (with a pro license). I am on Visual Studio 2012 pro, I tried installing 2013 to try to get a license through that but it gave me the same error.

I've tried everything I can think of, and even tried going back to VS express but nothing seems to get me a valid license. I do have admin privileges, and it is the same account that is tied to my windows user account. There is no network connectivity problems and I havent been able to find anything here in the forums with 0x80190191 or on google.

Any assistance would be grand!

Thanks!

--Paul

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:53 PM

Answers

• @Mayarnel,

If you are still getting the 0x80190191: Unauthorized (401) error while retrieving the Developer License, can you try signing into account.live.com with that same account and see if you get an error authenticating into the site itself?

What happens if instead of using your current Microsoft account, you use another new account? Do you still see the 401 error?

To retrieve a developer license, you can use Powershell cmdlets instead of using Visual Studio. Follow these steps to run the cmdlets so that you can view/ get/ delete a developer license.

- Open an elevated (Run as administrator) Powershell prompt

- Type: Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration and hit Enter to retrieve a new developer License
    - Type: Unregister-WindowsDeveloperLicense  and hit Enter to remove an existing developer license from the system
    - Type: Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense  and hit Enter to display the information of an existing developer license.

Thanks,

Prashant.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Mayarnel,

Sorry for my mistakes since I am not a Windows 8/windows store app expert.

Since your issue is related to developer lisence for Windows 8.1, I am moving this thread to Tools for Windows Store apps forum for better response.

In addition, the following threads with similar issue may help you:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7b45da47-b18e-45f8-991c-7052c9464e97/unable-to-get-developer-license-for-windows-8-error-0x803d0000?forum=toolsforwinapps

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/192af1db-8ea0-4c2f-96aa-07a7ae4a2960/cant-get-developer-license-for-windows-8-?forum=vssetup

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/31f4b558-925f-4a48-9377-9c194fbdd7dd/unable-to-get-developer-license?forum=toolsforwinapps

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:15 AM
  • @Mayarnel,

If you are still getting the 0x80190191: Unauthorized (401) error while retrieving the Developer License, can you try signing into account.live.com with that same account and see if you get an error authenticating into the site itself?

What happens if instead of using your current Microsoft account, you use another new account? Do you still see the 401 error?

To retrieve a developer license, you can use Powershell cmdlets instead of using Visual Studio. Follow these steps to run the cmdlets so that you can view/ get/ delete a developer license.

- Open an elevated (Run as administrator) Powershell prompt

- Type: Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration and hit Enter to retrieve a new developer License
    - Type: Unregister-WindowsDeveloperLicense  and hit Enter to remove an existing developer license from the system
    - Type: Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense  and hit Enter to display the information of an existing developer license.

Thanks,

Prashant.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I guess i should respond with 'its been fixed'.  I had actually done the command line powershell already and that wasnt the issue.

Unfortunately the fix, I was told, is covered under NDA and I cannot discuss it further.

Thanks,

--Paul

Friday, November 8, 2013 5:42 PM
  • I have this same issue, who should I contact to get information about it? Powershell commands didnt help.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Well if it's the same problem I had, really I can only point you to your Microsoft contact. Sorry!
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:02 PM
  • I've emailed my solution to Mr. Phadke, hopefully people will be able to contact him for assistance.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

I've the same license problem with Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 (included in my MSDN Subscription) and Surface Pro 2. I also tried to retrieve license via powershell without good results:

http://sdrv.ms/19ZEs94

http://sdrv.ms/1dZyZlD

Thanks,

Emanuele

Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Hello Prashant,

I'm having the same problem as posted in this thread https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/45127d84-0fcb-42d6-aef0-d145f6d5b10f/unable-to-get-developer-license-on-win81?forum=toolsforwinapps. Could you help me?

Thanks

TL

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:52 PM
  • @DPatriot,

Are you still experiencing the problem to retrieve the Developer license? You send me an email at: wsdevsol at outlook.com and I can assist you further.

Thanks,

Prashant

Friday, December 26, 2014 6:53 PM