Develop app for WP 8.1 or 8? Can WP 8.1 solutions in Visual Studio 2013 be compiled to run on WP8? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the early stages of building an app but I am unsure of what route to take with its development. Should I make a WP8 version now and then update it to 8.1 once it starts being pushed out to phones? I'm afraid that by the time I get the app made for WP8 it will be just as much work to redo it for WP 8.1. Can WP 8.1 solutions in Visual Studio 2013 be compiled to run on WP8?
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 10:20 AM

All replies

• Take a look at the new universal apps.  I would determine if it is better to use wp8 or wp8.1 based on the time framework you want the app to be released.  WP8.1 is suppose to start being released to windows phone 8 devices this summer.  Some new phones with 8.1 will be available in May 2014.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/dn642498

Sunday, April 6, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. I'd really like my app to be available starting in May. That's the unfortunate part, it will take probably until fall before all phones are updated. I'd like to just go with 8.1 but I don't want to miss out on a large part of the market. I guess the best thing would be to make an app for each. Do you know how much more work it would be to make the app for each version?
    Monday, April 7, 2014 10:43 PM