"Could not find ConfigurationChanged timestamp" error message appears in ActivityLog.xml while launching VS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I developed a VSPackage for VS 2012 and its outputs (extension.vsixmanifest, xxxx.dll, xxxx.pkgdef) go into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\xxxx\xxxx folder as expected and designed. But its entry is not found in the registry and as a result in Extensions and Updates window.

The same package is working fine for VS 2010. I recreated the project for VS 2012 and placed the same information into files. Modfied all the things in files that are required for 2012.

I launched VS 2010 and 2012 with log option to check the difference in logs. I observed the message "Could not find ConfigurationChanged timestamp" message in the VS 2012 Activity log at the time of loading pkgdef files where as in case of Vs 2010 it is just fine(It searches the Extensions folder and loads .pkgdef files succesfully).

I got stuck at this place and 'm not able to take my work forward. Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Ego Jiang Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:47 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From the log file, we can know that the package was not loaded because the error:

Could not find ConfigurationChanged timestamp.

As I know, the first launch essentially does /setup. If we run the Visual Studio via devenv /Setup, can this VSPackage be loaded?

You also can try another way to run it:

To touch "extensions.configurationchanged" under the <VisualStudio2012HomeDir>\Common7\IDE\Extensions" directory as part of your template deployment: resetting the date modified of this empty file seems to trigger searching of templates/packages when you next start VS2012.

More information you can refer to:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsx/thread/1bd30b98-54ad-44f8-8b7e-eaf4981ec050

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:00 AM