SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition failover cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could some one explain the golden rule "SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition supports 2-node failover clusters"

Does this just mean that only two nodes can participate in the failover of a given instance?

Is the below scenario valid?

Windows Cluster of Node1, Node2 and Node3
    Sql Clustered Instance_1 on Node1 failing over to Node3
    Sql Clustered Instance_2 on Node2 failing over to Node3

So it is an Active/Active/Passive cluster

If this is not possible using SQL Standard Edition, how is the limitation explained.

Thanks
    SJ

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hi SJ,

The limitation of the node number is about the number of nodes used for a SQL Server instance. According to the description on your original post, it is supported to install two SQL Server clustered instances with Standard edition. Based on the limitation, you cannot add Node2 to the Instance_1 and Node1 to Instance_2. For more information, please have a look at this similar thread: SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition Failover Clustering.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, January 30, 2012 7:42 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:13 AM

All replies

• With SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 the install on a cluster will limit you to two nodes ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189134.aspx

I couldn't find any reference that SQL Server Standard Edition is supported on a multi-node cluster if only 2 nodes are used.

I suspect this is one for Microsoft unless someone can find an official link with the answer.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Hi SJ,

As per my view this should work as its perfectly aligning to what Standard Edition of SQL 2008/2008 is supporting.

So as per your scenario a single Instance is using 2 nodes only.

Instance Node Node
    Instance_1 A C
    Instance_2 B C

This will work as:

Instance_1 is running on 2 nodes i.e. A and C

Instance_2 is running on 2 nodes i.e. B and C

Limitation is that only 2 nodes will be part of cluster in standard edition. Limitation is not on how much instance you are running on a Node (like Node C will be running 2 instances -Instance_1 and Instance_2).

Regards Gursethi Blog: http://gursethi.blogspot.com/ ++++ Please mark "Propose As Answer" if my answer helped ++++
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Apologies, I think my reply could have been clearer.

I agree that what you are proposing should work and also in my view it should be supported, especially as the install limits you to 2 nodes only.

My concern, which I hope someone can answer, is that all documentation I can find says that an instance of Standard Edition is only supported on a 2 node cluster. I cannot locate any official document that says that an instance of Standard Edition is supported on a cluster with more than 2 nodes e.g. a 3 node cluster, 4 node cluster etc.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Well i don't think you will find any such document further I think its not even required.

Till the time SQL Server Standard Edition Instance is installed on a 2 node cluster Microsoft will be fine, they should not bother if in actual at HW level its a 3 node or 4 node cluster. Yes thing will matter if you add 3rd node in existing SQL CLUSTER INSTANCE (Which I believe will not be possible as it can't support more than 2).

Regards Gursethi Blog: http://gursethi.blogspot.com/ ++++ Please mark "Propose As Answer" if my answer helped ++++
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:23 PM
  • This means only 2 nodes can participate in SQL failover when using SQL 2008 or SQL 2005.    SQL 2008 R2 Standard edition is limited to 2 nodes, Enterprise allows failover to up to 16 nodes when using Windows 2008.

Please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189134.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Jon Gurgul Monday, January 23, 2012 8:39 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the responses and clarifications.

In fact, the below article on msdn was bit confusing and hence this query came up.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee308825(v=bts.10).aspx

"SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition supports 2-node failover clusters. If you decide to use the active/active/passive configuration on SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2005, you must use the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server."

Don't know why it says Enterprise edition is required when going for an Active/Active/Passive configuration.

Thanks

SJ.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Thanks for that, yes this is what I'm also getting at, it’s not very clear, and I think the wording from MS needs to be tweaked or clarified.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Hi SJ,

The limitation of the node number is about the number of nodes used for a SQL Server instance. According to the description on your original post, it is supported to install two SQL Server clustered instances with Standard edition. Based on the limitation, you cannot add Node2 to the Instance_1 and Node1 to Instance_2. For more information, please have a look at this similar thread: SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition Failover Clustering.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, January 30, 2012 7:42 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:13 AM