Failover Clustering Edition SQL Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In the past we used SQL Server 2008 on a Windows Failover Cluster with shared storage on a SAN.  These days that kind of limits things with virtualization and we'd like to not be tied to the SAN. 

All I'm trying to do is have a 3 node cluster:  2 in the same subnet for H/A within the data center, and a 3rd node in a different subnet for D/R.

Unfortunately SQL Server Always On is the perfect solution for this, however the price is too much - and there is no way I can afford it.

Is this something that can be done with the Windows Failover Clustering still in SQL Server 2016 where I could create a 3 node cluster and put my databases on that cluster and have it replicate between 3 nodes only having 1 node be active and the other 2 being passive?

(I'm not looking to do a read only secondary or anything)

Thanks

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:03 PM

Answers

• Thanks Shashank, so with a Multi-Subnet Cluster with 3 nodes, can you still use SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition for that? 

(I'm just confused because it seems like SQL Server 2016 Standard only allows for a 2 node Basic Availability Group)

Thanks

SQL Server 2016 standard supports only two node SQL Server cluster instance. And yes basic availability group would be only for 2 nodes and just one database.

Yes as you mentioned you need storage replication for multi instance cluster and its bit hard to maintain and for that enterprise edition should be preferred.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:56 PM

All replies

• Is this something that can be done with the Windows Failover Clustering still in SQL Server 2016 where I could create a 3 node cluster and put my databases on that cluster and have it replicate between 3 nodes only having 1 node be active and the other 2 being passive?

Hi Ryanhav

So If I read your question correctly you want to create 3 node windows cluster and on top of that there will be 3 node SQL Server cluster such that 2 nodes reside in one subnet and other node in other subnet. If this is the case you can do it. This would be called as multi subnet cluster.

I also assume since you are using sql server 2016 underlying OS would be windows server 2012 ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:15 AM
  • Thanks Shashank, so with a Multi-Subnet Cluster with 3 nodes, can you still use SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition for that? 

(I'm just confused because it seems like SQL Server 2016 Standard only allows for a 2 node Basic Availability Group)

Thanks

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:08 PM
  • It looks like we'd need some sort of hardware or software replication software to replicate the data using that solution.

It appears as if we could use something like Sios DataKeeper too.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:03 PM
  • You can use a Basic Availability Group across data centers and rely on VM-level failover in the primary data center.

You can also use a Failover Cluster Instance with remote storage on iSCSI or SMB3 if you don't want to have the hypervisor involved in your shared storage.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:11 PM

Thanks

SQL Server 2016 standard supports only two node SQL Server cluster instance. And yes basic availability group would be only for 2 nodes and just one database.

Yes as you mentioned you need storage replication for multi instance cluster and its bit hard to maintain and for that enterprise edition should be preferred.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Great, thank you both.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:42 PM
  • In order to achieve H/A avoiding SAN ties, you can use additional virtual SAN software that will use internal drives that have way better performance and latency. Depending on your needs you can get Starwind https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san or HP VSA https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=VSA1TB-S for a reasonable amount of money or even for free.
    Monday, October 3, 2016 1:26 PM