Lightswitch or traditional Silverlight app for LOB RRS feed

• Question

• I need to start a new LOB application. I have seen that Microsoft is working with Lightswitch for easy build business applications.

There are not much information on the web about Lightswitch since it is a beta version.

Do somebody have experience with Lightswitch? could it be a good option instead of traditional RIA+MVVM technique for simple database maintance (for example administration panel) ?

When is it recommended to use it and when not?

For now, it is not a "code generator", it is more like a control, so it is very rigid in some aspects. Is there plans to do it more "flexible"?

Thank you

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:15 AM

Answers

• I may be completely wrong here since I don't have much knowledge about Lightswitch. Only watched few video presentations/tutorials about it. 

I think Lightswitch is meant to be, just what you said, for easy building of business applications. You stated that you are doing an app for a simple database maintenance. I think Lightswitch could be a good choice for you. It can probably get you up to speed faster than "traditional" silverlight development.

But like I said, I don't have any first hand experience with Lightswitch so I'm just guessing here. 

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:13 AM

All replies

• I may be completely wrong here since I don't have much knowledge about Lightswitch. Only watched few video presentations/tutorials about it. 

I think Lightswitch is meant to be, just what you said, for easy building of business applications. You stated that you are doing an app for a simple database maintenance. I think Lightswitch could be a good choice for you. It can probably get you up to speed faster than "traditional" silverlight development.

But like I said, I don't have any first hand experience with Lightswitch so I'm just guessing here. 

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for paying attention to Lightswitch.

Here are two links, just some information about the LightSwitch.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lightswitch/default.aspx

Regards

Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:33 PM