Visual Studio Guide line RRS feed

• Question

• Hello clever programmers,

I am very new to C++, i shall say a begineer. I am trying to do a project on designing an interactive application for skills training.
    My idea is as follows:
    I would/have developed an interface (HCI) screen using Visual Studio C++ 2008.
    I have created a relational database in Microsoft Access 2007.

1) What I'd like to do is to display the HCI to the user then ask him to enter her name,
    2) Then I'de like to get scenarios from my access table to display via a drop down menu. Once, this is done, the user selects the scenario and submits send button for processing.
    3) Then I'd like the computer to process the answer and reply back, the reply will come from the access database and shown on the HCI.
    4) The process continues until 10 interactions have taken place then a decision for the winner is made by the computer.

What I need is some guidelines on what features of Visual studio I can use to develop this. Keep in mind, I only want to retrieve a record on request. Should I use any wizards to get started....
    Pleeease helppp.... Frown Cry

Many Thanks for your help,
    H
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hello hitipremji,

Perhaps a good starting will be the video tutorial - How Do I: Develop a Win32 Application in Visual C++?.
    Well, you can find a lot of beginner series development stuffs under - Visual C++ "How Do I?" section. And wish you all the best!

Regards,
    Jijo.

http://weseetips.com[^] Visual C++ tips and tricks. Updated daily.
    • Marked as answer by Wesley Yao Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:55 AM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:28 PM
  • If you can use MFC for your user interface I think it will be much easier for you.  Most of what you're trying to do can be accomplished with a simple dialog based application with a single form.  I like the idea of doing the tutorials as was suggested, but you can get started doing a dialog application pretty easily:

Click File/New/Project

MFC Application

And just follow the prompts.  A lot of code will be created for you including the dialog for your main window.  Sometimes the best way to learn is just to start at the beginning and create a new project then ask a bunch of questions.

Tom

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:28 PM
  • I don't know what a HCI is so I apologize if my answer is not relevant.

I suggest using .Net but not MFC. MFC is infexible; it assumes use of the MFC Document/View architecture and your requirements don't conform, so it will be extra work to get MFC to comply.

Learn about .Net (CLR/CLI), including Windows Forms and ADO .Net. Read Accessing Data, especially Recommendations for Data Access Strategies and Data Walkthroughs.

You say you want to retrieve just one record at a time, but ADO is usually used a bit differently than you probably are thinking. Normally a database (such as your Access database) is opened and a datasource is created. Then you can show just one record from the datasource. Read the documentation for more.

Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hello hitipremji,

Perhaps a good starting will be the video tutorial - How Do I: Develop a Win32 Application in Visual C++?.
    Well, you can find a lot of beginner series development stuffs under - Visual C++ "How Do I?" section. And wish you all the best!

Regards,
    Jijo.

http://weseetips.com[^] Visual C++ tips and tricks. Updated daily.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:28 PM
  • If you can use MFC for your user interface I think it will be much easier for you.  Most of what you're trying to do can be accomplished with a simple dialog based application with a single form.  I like the idea of doing the tutorials as was suggested, but you can get started doing a dialog application pretty easily:

Click File/New/Project

MFC Application

And just follow the prompts.  A lot of code will be created for you including the dialog for your main window.  Sometimes the best way to learn is just to start at the beginning and create a new project then ask a bunch of questions.

Tom

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:28 PM
  • I don't know what a HCI is so I apologize if my answer is not relevant.

I suggest using .Net but not MFC. MFC is infexible; it assumes use of the MFC Document/View architecture and your requirements don't conform, so it will be extra work to get MFC to comply.

Learn about .Net (CLR/CLI), including Windows Forms and ADO .Net. Read Accessing Data, especially Recommendations for Data Access Strategies and Data Walkthroughs.

You say you want to retrieve just one record at a time, but ADO is usually used a bit differently than you probably are thinking. Normally a database (such as your Access database) is opened and a datasource is created. Then you can show just one record from the datasource. Read the documentation for more.

Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:59 AM