TFS Preview very slow this morning after maintenance window RRS feed

• Question

• TFS Preview is substantially slower this morning after the long weekend and the upgrade - is anyone else seeing this?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Bryan,

At that time data tier was experiencing heavy load which resulted in slow performance to the accounts hosted in that data tier. Because of the multitenant nature of datatier, all the account hosted in that datatier got affected. We have realized it as a potential issue and we have long term investment to isolate each tenant from others. Eventually as the product evolves, you will see better results.

I appreciate your patiance.

Regards,

Anjana

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:47 PM

All replies

• Sorry to hear that you are seeing bad performance. Is it still slow? Can you provide the following:

1. Your TFS url and your live ID

2. What time you experienced slowness?

3. What action was slow? (Workitem, source control etc)

You can either post the info here or send me email at anj-2011@hotmail.com. With the above infomation, we will try to pull some logs.

Regards,

Anjana

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:54 PM
  • hqcatalyst.tfspreview.com is the TFS URL and my the live ids that are having problems are primarily mike.roylance at hqcatalyst.com and nathan.gallenson at hqcatalyst.com .  We have been experiencing the slowness all morning (and even yesterday) - from 10:00 am MT to 11:30 am MT (so right now) has been especially bad - source control performance has been terrible (checkout takes a long time), but workitem queries and updating has also been really, really slow.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for this information. I do see some error from data tier. I am trying to get more information of those. I will let you know soon.

Regards,

Anjana

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Glad to hear that something appears to be causing the slowness - looking forward to your update
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Bryan,

We did some performance enhancement in the data tier. Do you see improvement or still slow?

Regards,

Anjana

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:37 PM
  • It seems to be substantially faster - I will run more in depth tests when I get into the office to verify (work item tracking is much faster - I will check version control in the office) - do you anticipate needing to do that kind of on-going maintenance or was it a one time activity?
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

At that time data tier was experiencing heavy load which resulted in slow performance to the accounts hosted in that data tier. Because of the multitenant nature of datatier, all the account hosted in that datatier got affected. We have realized it as a potential issue and we have long term investment to isolate each tenant from others. Eventually as the product evolves, you will see better results.

I appreciate your patiance.

Regards,

Anjana

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Thanks for the response - I would be curious to hear how that isolation is going to happen while maintaining an effective cost structure.  Controlling the impact on other tenants of a database is hard given how IO works etc...  Perhaps someone from the TFS team could provide some insight on to how you will/have addressed the issues at some future point.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:51 PM