none
VS2015 update 3, "new.h" not being found on path (ucrt includes missing)

Question

• RE: VS2015 update 3, "new.h" not being found on path (ucrt includes missing)

Hi,

I just got VS2015 update 3 installed on top of VS2010 w/ sdks, etc. 

I have a large project that is complaining about "new.h" not being found on the path now.

The project has had a VS2010 and V140 set of project settings made.

What gets me, is that this builds fine on other systems with the same setup (VS2015U3 over VS2010).

The VS2015 projects build fine on a virtual machine with just VS2015U3. The VS2010 ones build fine on the box in question. I just can't use the newly installed VS2015 update 3 to compile the vs2015 set but can the vs2010 set. On other computers I can.. so its something evidently wrong with the setup.

What didn't get installed correctly? How do I verify installations to make sure that they are correct? How can I be sure all of our developers have consistent and correct installations?

Thanks

• Edited by _Andy__ Friday, March 17, 2017 1:16 PM issue clarification
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:24 PM

Answers

• I found something here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2010/03/02/visual-studio-2010-c-project-upgrade-guide/

VS2010 introduces the user settings file (Microsoft.cpp.<Platform>.users.props) to control global settings including Global search path. These files are located at $(USERPROFILE)\appdata\local\microsoft\msbuild\v4.0 directory.

I had three property sheets listed in that directory.

Without studio running, I just appended them with ".old" and then restarted VS2015. It recreated the prop sheets. It appears somewhere in the last few years my original ones were modified (who knows by what). Using the defaults it created (loaded automatically when I opened the project) appears to have corrected my problem with the ucrt include paths being incorrect.

• Marked as answer by _Andy__ Friday, March 17, 2017 1:16 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:16 PM

All replies

• This may be at least a partial answer:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/15e22077-c440-4688-8ccc-bdf6d01f5286/vs-2015-mfc-missing-h-files?forum=vcgeneral

Some additional information:

The install on this box started with a volume licensing copy.. v14.0.23107.10 and then had vs2015.3.vsu applied. IT says the subscription site doesn't have an update 3 yet and that I'm supposed to go that route. I don't know if the other working boxes in question did so.. I have not tried just starting with the latest iso for the full pro version. I'll have to download it first.

For the first install, I did try to install everything, but the box in question doesn't get to see the internet. It couldn't find quite a few of the packages so it may be related to the above post.

I'll try the full install iso for update 3 and see if that helps and post back. It may take a while.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Like what you found, the Visual C++ is not includes in the default installation of VS 2015, you need to choose ‘Custom’ installation and check the option ‘Programming Languages—Visual C++‘ to install, you can know it from here.

>> How do I verify installations to make sure that they are correct?

Usually, we should not meet any error or warning message during the installation. At the end, it will describe all components are installed successfully.

If you have not installed any VS 2015 version before, you can choose the VS 2015 community/professional/enterprise with update 3 to install. If you already installed the VS 2015 RTM version like community/professional/enterprise, you can directly install the VS 2015 update 3, which will update the VS 2015 to VS 2015 community/professional/enterprise with update 3, both of them can download from the VS download center with the web installer or ISO file.

If your computer has the stable internet connection, you can directly use the web installer to install. If your computer is offline, you can use the ISO file or the offline installer to install. The ISO file and offline installer are different, you can choose it per your installation requirement.

For offline installer, you need to follow this guidance document to create it on the computer which have internet connect, it downloads almost all the installation packages, not just the ones that apply to the download machine. This approach gives you the files that you need to run this installer anywhere and it might be useful if you want to install components that weren't installed originally.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:33 AM
  • It's still an open issue for me. One can't reload the vs2015.3.vsu, but you can try to repair from it. When attempted, it reports that some of its packages are corrupted. I've tried two copies, one downloaded a long time ago and the iso I just got. I have to download the full update 3 version before I can try more. That's a trial in itself around here. Our IT group is hung up on the idea that the volume licensing version is somehow different than the downloaded version and the volume licensing site doesn't have update 3 yet. I'll keep you posted.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thank you for your update.

The error message ‘some packages are corrupted’ often means the installer is corrupted or it has issue to download the necessary packages during the installation.

After you download the ISO file, you can verify the integrity of the ISO file, please use the FCIV.exe tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2011/03/25/verify-the-iso-checksum-for-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-before-installing.aspx  to check the SHA1 value of the ISO, the expected value comes from here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx, any discrepancy means the ISO is corrupted.

If you have any update, please feel free to let me know. Meanwhile, I need your help to collect the installation logs, you use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 16, 2016 6:55 AM
  • I have tried using the full pro iso and most everything is installed that I think I would need except maybe the windows 10 sdk. That doesn't appear to be included in the iso. I still get the compilation problem seen earlier, but again, apparently only on this box (VS2010 underneath). I've got our IT group involved more now and they are trying to get a /layout download pulled for VS2015. Hopefully the SDK will help. I can't seem to get an offline copy of the SDK to download either. Our network security is just painful sometimes. That log file utility pulled in unrelated information so I can't upload that either. Is there a way to flush the old log files first?

The packages listed that didn't install:

Developer Analytics Tools v7.0.2

Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586)

Visual Studio Update 3 Extensibility Item Templates with Assembly References in Nuget Packages

Visual Studio 2015 Software Development Kit Update 3

Tools for Universal Windows Aps (1.4) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586)

Thursday, January 05, 2017 10:03 PM
  • Hi Andy,

When you install the VS 2015, you should find the Windows 10 SDK under Universal Windows App Development Tools as below:

Meanwhile, there is a standalone installer of Windows 10 SDK, please have a look at Windows 10 SDK.

>>That log file utility pulled in unrelated information so I can't upload that either. Is there a way to flush the old log files first?

Please clean up the %temp% folder, then re-run the VS installer to install or repair, it will create the latest installation logs, then collect and share it.

>>The packages listed that didn't install:

Do you mean those packages that you are not check during the installation or failed to install?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 06, 2017 6:54 AM
  • I'm still stuck. I finally got an offline installer that looks reasonable. Something still isn't getting updated correctly. I am still getting the "new.h" not found error (ucrt paths are not correct).

If I load the solution in question on my desktop, the Configuration Properties-VC++ Directories-Include Directories listed have different values than on a virtual machine with a standalone VS2015 installation. That surprises me as the project trees are identical. I thought those entries were stored with the project settings.

The include directories on my box are listed as:

$(VCInstallDir)include;$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include;$(WindowsSdkDir)include;$(FrameworkSDKDir)include

and on the VM:

$(VC_IncludePath);$(WindowsSDK_IncludePath);

How do I go about getting them to match?

If I manually edit mine the drop down arrow then gives me the option to "inherit from parent or project defaults". If I do that, it changes it back to my old (bad) string. How do I correct my 'the parent or project defaults'? And why are they incorrect for my VS2015 installation but not for others?

(If I edit them manually to the string from the VM box it will build, but why are my defaults not correct?)

Recap: Windows 7, VS2010 SP1, VS2015 update 3, legacy application converted to VS2015 won't build on my installation (cannot fine ucrt includes), but does on other systems.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:41 PM
  • I found something here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2010/03/02/visual-studio-2010-c-project-upgrade-guide/

VS2010 introduces the user settings file (Microsoft.cpp.<Platform>.users.props) to control global settings including Global search path. These files are located at $(USERPROFILE)\appdata\local\microsoft\msbuild\v4.0 directory.

I had three property sheets listed in that directory.

Without studio running, I just appended them with ".old" and then restarted VS2015. It recreated the prop sheets. It appears somewhere in the last few years my original ones were modified (who knows by what). Using the defaults it created (loaded automatically when I opened the project) appears to have corrected my problem with the ucrt include paths being incorrect.

• Marked as answer by _Andy__ Friday, March 17, 2017 1:16 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:16 PM
  • Hi _Andy_,

Thank you for your feedback.

>>Using the defaults it created (loaded automatically when I opened the project) appears to have corrected my problem with the ucrt include paths being incorrect.

Do you mean your issue is solved by renamed them with ".old"? If not, sorry for my misunderstanding.

BTW, now the VS 2017 RTM already released on March 7, you can have a try with the VS 2017.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:56 AM
  • The ".old" wasn't important other than to back up the old files in case something went wrong. You could have probably have deleted them just as easily.

The root cause of what changed them (or failed to change them) to begin with I have not found. Allowing studio to recreate them did update them with the correct (default) values. I have not fiddled with my underlying VS2010 installation to verify it is still functional, but at this point I don't care much.

I am a little surprised there are settings like this that are kept outside of the solutions. Those property sheets probably need to be archived somehow with the various solutions. It seems like a potential configuration management hole to fall into. I guess there has to be some way to adapt studio to various installation paths / choices.

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Hi _Andy_,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your useful description :)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:59 AM