Visual Studio and Modeling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

Has any one come across Visual Studio 2005 's class syncronization's issues ?

basically it looks like VSTS doesn't support generation of sequential diagrams.

For requirements gathering and UML Modeling, If I have to make a choice

btw Visual Use Case and Enterprise Architect then which is sufficent enough to integrate with VSTS 2005 and / or does allow to represent the requirements and allow to do the UML for the class and sequence diagram generation.

-Paresh

Friday, August 4, 2006 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Paresh,

If i recall correctly, I wrote to you once (perhaps in another forum) that VS 2005's class designer is connected directly to the code, meaning you cannot model a class and then decide to synchronize it (further more, if you look at the .cd file that is created - you'll see it only includes info about the position of the class in the diargram, which means all the class info is auto-generated in the .cs/.vb file).

BTW, I also wrote to you once that VS 2005's class designer is not based on UML !

As for other tool (UML supported) that can work in VS, I recomment Sparx Enterprise Architect

Best of luck,

Ido.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Paresh,

If i recall correctly, I wrote to you once (perhaps in another forum) that VS 2005's class designer is connected directly to the code, meaning you cannot model a class and then decide to synchronize it (further more, if you look at the .cd file that is created - you'll see it only includes info about the position of the class in the diargram, which means all the class info is auto-generated in the .cs/.vb file).

BTW, I also wrote to you once that VS 2005's class designer is not based on UML !

As for other tool (UML supported) that can work in VS, I recomment Sparx Enterprise Architect

Best of luck,

Ido.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 8:16 AM
  • Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate lets you generate sequence diagrams from code. If you also install the Visualization and Modeling Feature Pack, you can create UML class diagrams from code or generate code from those diagrams, which are one-way operations in this particular release.

For more info, see the documentation How to: Explore Code with Sequence Diagrams and Visualization and Modeling Feature Pack.

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post. Thanks!
    Friday, September 10, 2010 11:26 PM