Authentication with new data service in sandbox RRS feed

• Question

• How can I pass in my username and password using the new sandbox tool?  I tried adding them to the uri $username=xxx&$password=xxx but this does not work.

Pablo this stuff looks really great, I can't wait to put it through a workout.

Terrence

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot pass them as parameters; credentials need to be exchanged in headers following the HTTP Basic auth scheme. If you are just using the browser and the "raw.htm" page, you can just hit the url from the page, and the browser will pop-up a dialog to enter username/password.

At least that works for me using IE7. If it does not work for you let me know and we'll follow up on it.

Pablo Castro

Technical Lead

Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:49 AM
  •  

We updated the tool at https://astoria.sandbox.live.com/Tools/raw.htm, can you give it a spin and see if your problem persists?
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot pass them as parameters; credentials need to be exchanged in headers following the HTTP Basic auth scheme. If you are just using the browser and the "raw.htm" page, you can just hit the url from the page, and the browser will pop-up a dialog to enter username/password.

At least that works for me using IE7. If it does not work for you let me know and we'll follow up on it.

Pablo Castro

Technical Lead

Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:49 AM
  •  

Pablo the raw.htm page pops up the dailog box, but when I am using the tool, and Post-ing a entity to be inserted into the db, no dialog pops up and the error is "Permission Denied".

Are you able to add data to your service from the 'tool' ?

Thanks.

Terrence

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:26 AM
  • What OS & browser are you using?  I have heard this feedback once before and would like to look into this.... thanks.

-Mike 

Thursday, August 9, 2007 7:29 AM
  •  

We updated the tool at https://astoria.sandbox.live.com/Tools/raw.htm, can you give it a spin and see if your problem persists?
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Mike I hit it yesterday and I was able to "post" a row to one of my entities.  So I think I am up and running.  Will work with it more tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Terrence

Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:55 PM