Deploy Access 2010 Package & Distribute doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I am a new develop user, I tried to deploy a simple access 2010 database application to my colleague. Due to my colleague doesn't has Access installed. I went thro. the "Package and Distribute" for package solution with Access Runtime.

I run the setup from the packaged folder, it seems everything work OK. but I tried to open the Access file xxxxx.accdr it just display the file tap but nothing for Access application. Can you tell me what went wrong?

Please advise..

Regards

Ernest  

Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:32 AM

Answers

• Hi

To deplay access database to your client, you need to do 3 step:

1 - compile the code in in access vba(if you have code on it) and publish it as accde file

2- in microsoft office folder find microsoft office tools and click digital certificate, to creat one, after created you will not see that security file, just open the accde file you have created and go to office menu click package and sign, a pop up window appear, then click ok to affect your accde file with your digital certificate, access will create a well packed file with a flour on it. :)

3- Download Ms accessruntime, and Ms access Runtime Sp1, (to avoid sp problems, with the file saying the project contain a vba code must deleted, before... bla...bla.. ; now install the runtime to your client machine, and open the package file with access runtime, it will prompt to save a copy of the file , choose a location and save it. Now open the newly saved file, it will an ACCDE file Not (ACCDR file, Less secure). with that accde file your database code, forms, report get locked.

Have a nice time... ECC....ECC...

• Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, October 22, 2012 8:55 AM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:13 PM
  • It is simple, like that.

open your front end databse right click 1 table and click linktable... then tic, the option prompt for new location

then click ok, a windows file explorer open, choose network and find your shared folder and point the accbe or accdr file, and click ok.

you will see a message saying all tables are linked to that backend.

that is all.

the miximun workstation can be 8 + the pcserver.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Do you have a Switchboard or Main Menu?  If so, are you using a Macro to open it?  Do you see the Secuirty Bar at the top?  Are deploying to a Trusted Location?

--
    Gina Whipp
    Microsoft MVP (Access)

Please post all replies to the forum where everyone can benefit.

• Edited by Gina Whipp Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:56 AM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:54 AM
  • No switchboad or main Menu, I just created a simple form to test deploy method. No Macro

Yes, I can see the secuirty bar on top, I just kick enable... Yes it deploy into trusted location.

It seems the Package functioning, I can find the database file loaded into "Uninstall or change program" area.

I can see a folder with database file under format .accdr, but the file icon with lock sign on it. I tried to open it. It just display the Access File tap only.

Regards

Ernest

Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Close all open applications. Start the task manager and look for any Access Processes running and force them closed. alternatively you can reboot. This should get rid of the lock file. Then try restarting the program.

Chris Ward

Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Hi

To deplay access database to your client, you need to do 3 step:

1 - compile the code in in access vba(if you have code on it) and publish it as accde file

2- in microsoft office folder find microsoft office tools and click digital certificate, to creat one, after created you will not see that security file, just open the accde file you have created and go to office menu click package and sign, a pop up window appear, then click ok to affect your accde file with your digital certificate, access will create a well packed file with a flour on it. :)

3- Download Ms accessruntime, and Ms access Runtime Sp1, (to avoid sp problems, with the file saying the project contain a vba code must deleted, before... bla...bla.. ; now install the runtime to your client machine, and open the package file with access runtime, it will prompt to save a copy of the file , choose a location and save it. Now open the newly saved file, it will an ACCDE file Not (ACCDR file, Less secure). with that accde file your database code, forms, report get locked.

Have a nice time... ECC....ECC...

Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot, the above method involve digital certificate that I haven't try before. I will test your way later, meanwhile I would like to know how to use Access database to develop network database that consider all work station without Access database install.

Please advise...

Regards

Ernest  

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

If you want 5 workstation to work on a database file you need :

1 - one computer to be the server, by share a folder to other workstation.

2 - install Access runtime to all Machine (pc), and make sure they can access the folder you share in that local server.

3- split the database in two parts. : BackEnd (to be in the shared folder of the local standard pc server ) with the tables only.

and the FrontEnd : (one copy for each worksation and link the tables to the backendlike : \\Mylocalserver\MysharedFolfer\BackEnd.accdb). i the link table wizard.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

For the 2nd pt. assume I have 5 work stations, 1 of them will be the server then I deploy the Access file xxxx.accdr into the trusted location and make this folder share for the other 4 stations. Of course the work stations loaded with Access Runtime. The work stations just call the sever file xxxx.accdr then it will display on the work station. Is it that simple?

Please advise...

Regards

Ernest

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:00 PM
  • It is simple, like that.

open your front end databse right click 1 table and click linktable... then tic, the option prompt for new location

then click ok, a windows file explorer open, choose network and find your shared folder and point the accbe or accdr file, and click ok.

you will see a message saying all tables are linked to that backend.

that is all.

the miximun workstation can be 8 + the pcserver.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:16 PM
  • if You do not have any table in the frontEnd , go to import external data in external data tab, then choose link table, then browse to the folder in the network location.

• Proposed as answer by Access Odini Monday, October 15, 2012 9:56 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Thanks you help. I will try that.....
    • Proposed as answer by Access Odini Monday, October 15, 2012 9:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Access Odini Monday, October 15, 2012 9:56 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:04 PM