none
Is Visual Studio 2013 supported for building a MAPI Address Book Provider? RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a MAPI Address Book Provider based on the Sample Address Book Provider and also a C# AddIn.

The customer moved their business to the cloud and started using Outlook 2013.

I had to upgrade to Visual Studio 2013 in order to update and recompile the C# AddIn.

I don't remember needing to change anything in the MAPI Address Book provider but it seems to have died somewhere in the process. It no longer loads in Outlook on my development computer. I have tried setting breakpoints but they never trigger.

I had an idea to go back to the sample address book provider solution and see if I could get it to load in Outlook.

This project hadnt been updated. When I updated I got this message : 

Error 1 error MSB8031: Building an MFC project for a non-Unicode character set is deprecated. You must change the project property to Unicode or download an additional library. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=286820 for more information. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets 376 5 SABP

Is is possible I have done something to my project to break it at a very basic level, such as using a character set not supported in Outlook?

I have loaded the link and it looks like I am supposed to download an additional support pack which I perhaps skipped previously so perhaps this all makes sense.

Any confirmation or hints are appreciated. MAPI development is not my core role, when I have to look at it I have to get my head back into it.

Thanks

Kim Anthony Groves

Regards, (Mr) Kim Groves

Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:12 AM

Answers

• Your understanding is correct. VS 2013 does not install MFC libraries for MBCS.  The additional download will provide the necessary libraries for you.  After installing the download you should be able to build your project.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:41 AM
  • Hello Kim,

Looks like you used MFC in your project. The error message provides a link which states the following:

MFC libraries (DLLs) for multibyte character encoding (MBCS) are no longer included in Visual Studio, but are available as an add-on that you can download and install on any machine that has Visual Studio Professional or Visual Studio Enterprise.  (In Visual Studio, MFC must be enabled.) The installation requires about 440 MB of disk space and includes the English (United States) and localized versions of the DLLs.

You need this download in order to build an MFC project that has the Character Set property set to Use Multi-Byte Character Set or Not Set.

To download, go to the Multibyte MFC Library for Visual Studio 2015 page, or the Multibyte MFC Library for Visual Studio 2013 page on the Microsoft Download Center, as appropriate.

Is is possible I have done something to my project to break it at a very basic level, such as using a character set not supported in Outlook?

No, you just need to install a missed component in Visual Studio. And it is not related to MAPI development at all. 

Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:54 AM

All replies

• Your understanding is correct. VS 2013 does not install MFC libraries for MBCS.  The additional download will provide the necessary libraries for you.  After installing the download you should be able to build your project.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:41 AM
  • Hello Kim,

Looks like you used MFC in your project. The error message provides a link which states the following:

MFC libraries (DLLs) for multibyte character encoding (MBCS) are no longer included in Visual Studio, but are available as an add-on that you can download and install on any machine that has Visual Studio Professional or Visual Studio Enterprise.  (In Visual Studio, MFC must be enabled.) The installation requires about 440 MB of disk space and includes the English (United States) and localized versions of the DLLs.

You need this download in order to build an MFC project that has the Character Set property set to Use Multi-Byte Character Set or Not Set.

To download, go to the Multibyte MFC Library for Visual Studio 2015 page, or the Multibyte MFC Library for Visual Studio 2013 page on the Microsoft Download Center, as appropriate.

No, you just need to install a missed component in Visual Studio. And it is not related to MAPI development at all. 

Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:54 AM
  • After you have downloaded and installed the MFC  MBCS libraries for VC++ 2013 the compiler will still issue warning C4996: 'MBCS_Support_Deprecated_In_MFC': MBCS support in MFC is deprecated and may be removed in a future version of MFC.

However, the MFC MBCS libraries are included with VC++ 2015 and no additional downloads for that version are necessary.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:03 AM