none
Excel addin does not load after deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Sometime ago I developed a commercial Excel addin in VS2010 which users could download from a website. A month ago I was required to rebrand my software and move it to a new website. I am now having some deployment problems. Specifically, after downloading and installing the software from the new website, new users will find that the addin does not load into Excel. However when I check the list of installed programs through the Control Panel the software is clearly installed on their PC. The problem does not occur on the development PC; when I press F5 to build the addin it loads into Excel. Just wondering if anyone might be able to offer some suggestions as to how to remedy the problem.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:44 AM

Answers

• I have solved the problem with a work around. Basically I moved all of my forms and modules into a new solution and basically deployed it without any problems. I still don't know what the original problem was.

Thank you DamienD for your help.

Best,

Bernie

Bernie

• Marked as answer by Bernie Ok Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:33 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Bernie,

I suppose you publish it via Click Once. And you might forgot change the url to the new website after your move it.

Have a good day,

T.X.

志异征诛,三让两家王朝
    功同开辟,一桮万古江南

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi Tx_OfficeDev,

yes I do publish with ClickOnce and I have changed the installation URL.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:50 AM
  • you have to do standard investigation of add-in load failures":

1. are all prerequisites installed?

2. is add-in listed in add-in list in excel? when you try to load it from there, does it stay disabled?

3. check if addin is not under DisabledItems list in excel? is it there? this is important in light of recent revelations regarding vstor bug

Friday, December 14, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Hi DamienD,

In answer to your questions:

(1) The following prerequisites are checked when I publish.

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Client Profile

Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies

Microsoft Office Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office (x86 and x64)

Windows Installer 3.1

Windows Installer 4.5

(2) The addin is listed under ‘Inactive Application Add-ins’

When I have a look at the COM addins it is listed but not checked. When I check it I can see the following message:

‘Load Behaviour – Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in’

(3) It is not in the Disabled Items list.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:22 AM
  • add enviroment variable VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS =0 and restart excel

now try to load your addin. you should get some popup with detailed information what went wrong. let us know the outcome.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:42 AM
  • I have no idea about adding environment variables. Is it to my program or to Excel? Can you give me a reference?

Many Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Friday, December 14, 2012 8:28 AM
  • enviroment variable is something that you add to windows itself. http://www.itechtalk.com/thread3595.html
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:00 AM
  • OK, I added enviroment variable VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS =0 and then restarted Excel. I got no messages. One strange thing however, when I check the addin in the COM add-ins list, I can no longer see the message ‘Load Behaviour – Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in’. Also, the addin is still not listed as a Disabled Addin.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:43 PM
  • so, what is with your add-in now? is it listed under inactive add-ins? could you show us with screenshot how this env variable is set on your machine?

Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Thanks DamienD,

Below is a screenshot of environmental variables.

Bernie

Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:33 PM
  • ok, what happens when you try to manually load add-in in excel? (by clicking checkbox next to it in add-ins list window)
    Monday, December 17, 2012 8:47 AM
  • OK, I start Excel and then I go to COM addins and check the addin. I then exit Excel and then restart it. Nothing happens. When I go to COM addins the addin is now unchecked.

You can have a look at the addin at the download page at www.statisticianaddin.com.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:54 PM
  • I have solved the problem with a work around. Basically I moved all of my forms and modules into a new solution and basically deployed it without any problems. I still don't know what the original problem was.

Thank you DamienD for your help.

Best,

Bernie

Bernie

• Marked as answer by Bernie Ok Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:33 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:33 AM