Unicode characters displayed incorrectly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a report where I select parameters from a filter and then display the selected parameters in a textbox. Some characters in the parameter are Unicode, mostly using the umlaut character (for German or Turkysh). These characters are displayed incorrectly in the textbox. Is there any way to solve this?

Thank you!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Adinaf,

Based on my research, I guess the issue is that there are some characters are displayed incorrectly and replaced with "?" in the textbox. In SQL Server, there are only three data types (nchar, nvarchar, ntext) support Unicode data. If you want to display Unicode data in Reporting Services, I suggest that you should set the parameter get values from a query with “Nvarchar” data type field.

The following thread about the similar issue is for your reference:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4343677-922e-471e-ac46-1624264485e9/unicode-problem-in-ssrs-reports

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:13 AM

All replies

• Does your font (codepage) support those characetrs?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:10 PM
  • I am using Arial. I tried using Arial Unicode MS, but nothing changed. My version of SSRS is 2008R2.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Hi Adinaf,

Based on my research, I guess the issue is that there are some characters are displayed incorrectly and replaced with "?" in the textbox. In SQL Server, there are only three data types (nchar, nvarchar, ntext) support Unicode data. If you want to display Unicode data in Reporting Services, I suggest that you should set the parameter get values from a query with “Nvarchar” data type field.

The following thread about the similar issue is for your reference:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4343677-922e-471e-ac46-1624264485e9/unicode-problem-in-ssrs-reports

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:13 AM