Is it safe to install Windows Developer Preview in a duel boot with Windows 7?

Question

• Original title: General OS Question..

I know it is quite risky to have windows 8 straight on ma lap...just wanna know if its safe to dual boot it with windows 7..wil there be any data loss in case of any excption..??..(P.S.Backup is not an option ..its a LOTT of important stuff though..) ..!??

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:41 PM

Answers

• P.S.Backup is not an option ..its a LOTT of important stuff though..

If you can't back up data don't risk it. The WDP is not a finished product, it's not even beta yet. Bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I agree - I'd never install a preview OS (note, it's not even beta yet) directly onto hardware containing the only copy of any important data. You can of course install the developer preview into an isolated virtual machine (using virtual box) on the machine and test it safely from there.

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:56 PM

All replies

• P.S.Backup is not an option ..its a LOTT of important stuff though..

If you can't back up data don't risk it. The WDP is not a finished product, it's not even beta yet. Bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I agree - I'd never install a preview OS (note, it's not even beta yet) directly onto hardware containing the only copy of any important data. You can of course install the developer preview into an isolated virtual machine (using virtual box) on the machine and test it safely from there.

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:56 PM