none
64 bit vs. 32 bit:, can it cause problems? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to buy a new personal computer to do work at home. Problem is, if I want to buy a somewhat powerful machine it will be a 64-bit system. My work environment uses 32-bit. Will this cause problems for any VBA applications I build?
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• 32bit Office installs by default even on Windows 64 bit. Typically there shouldn't be any issues although any referenced dlls may need to be installed in a different System directory.

If you install 64 bit Office you might need to adapt your code.

Unless you particularly need to leverage the capabilities of 64 bit Office or remain compatible with users, say for development, stick with the default 32bit installation.

Peter Thornton

Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• I have both Windows 7 32bit and Windows 7 64bit PCs.  I have Office 2007 installed on both.  I have seen no issues.  I plan to move to Office 2010 shortly.  I will install the 32bit version of Office 2010.  I think you are safe using the 32bit version of Office 2010.  I have no need for the 64bit version of Office and I know it will break a few things.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:44 PM
  • 32bit Office installs by default even on Windows 64 bit. Typically there shouldn't be any issues although any referenced dlls may need to be installed in a different System directory.

If you install 64 bit Office you might need to adapt your code.

Unless you particularly need to leverage the capabilities of 64 bit Office or remain compatible with users, say for development, stick with the default 32bit installation.

Peter Thornton

Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Peter reminded me of something.  I did have to change my Inno install script to get the addins to work properly.  I moved the addin from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\STARTUP to the STARTUP dir in appdata.  One addin called a program .exe and I had to test if the .exe was in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).  There may have been some other changes but they were all due Win7 not VBA.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:02 PM