Can the publication process be improved? RRS feed

• Question

• Since we have a burning desire to see the publication process improved in certain ways, I am wondering if other fellow WP app developers share the same wish that we can collectively voice to MS.

I apologize if similar opinions have been expressed before.  I did do some search and failed to find any.

Our apps have both WP versions and Android versions.  Here is my thought regarding WP vs. Android.

As for the device, at least for our apps that use a lot of multi-media, WP is far superior.

As for the IDE, the difference between VS + Polished WP Emulators and Eclipse + crawling, tasteless and buggy Android emulators is like leopard v.s. turtle, or heaven v.s. earth.

As for the publication process, I am sorry to say that we love that of Android.

The WP app publication process does have significant merits.  It filters out craps, more importantly, provides a sort of QC process though it cannot replace a developer's own QC.

It is often frustrating that one has to wait for another cycle of 3 to 4 days to fix a minor bug or a typo in a message,. The worst scenario is that when the approval process misses a serious bug that causes very poor user experiences for a certain group of users and the bug can be fixed literally with one line of code,  one has to hide the app, submit an update, then wait for a few days to put it back.

I thought there could be a hybrid publication process that has the merits of both WP and Android as following:

1. The initial submission of an      app, and the first few updates use the current WP publication process.      Each submission without failure earns some credibility points.
    2. When enough points are earned      after a few successful submissions, new updates can be published instantly      like the Android app publication. 
    3. Microsoft can check instantly      publications periodically to ensure quality.  If an app fails the exam, it is taken      off the store immediately, and the credibility score is lowered.  If the score is below a threshold, the      developer has to go back to step one to regain enough points to have the      right to publish the app instantly.        If the published app passes the exam, more credibility points are      awarded.

This is my 2¢.

Hong

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hello Hong,

Those are all great points and your feedback is most appreciated. Since you have clearly thought this out, you should post your suggestions to the Dev Center feedback page. The team that makes decisions on what changes to make to the Dev Center use this site to help in their decision making process.

Please also keep in mind that the testing process that is conducted by Microsoft is to test the user experience. Microsoft is not debugging your app and you should not rely on the testing process to "catch" problems with your app. Thorough testing on your own and taking advantage of the beta testing process are the tools provided so you can properly test and debug your app on your own.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Monday, May 27, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hello Hong,

Those are all great points and your feedback is most appreciated. Since you have clearly thought this out, you should post your suggestions to the Dev Center feedback page. The team that makes decisions on what changes to make to the Dev Center use this site to help in their decision making process.

Please also keep in mind that the testing process that is conducted by Microsoft is to test the user experience. Microsoft is not debugging your app and you should not rely on the testing process to "catch" problems with your app. Thorough testing on your own and taking advantage of the beta testing process are the tools provided so you can properly test and debug your app on your own.

-Eric

Monday, May 27, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Thanks, Eric.

I posted the suggestion per your advice.  I originally wanted to see if others share similar wishes.

Hong

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Hello Hong,

By all means, other developers should contribute to this discussion both on this forum and via the feedback site.

Thank you for adding your suggestions to the feedback page.

-Eric

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:22 PM