none
connecting SQL Azure through proxy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Because of policy, my company doesn't allow us to connect to internet directly. Every connection must go through proxy server.

Thus, I found problem when connecting from SSMS R2 to SQL Azure.

Could somebody advise how to connect to SQL Azure through proxy?

• Moved by Yi-Lun Luo Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:53 AM Off Topic. (From:Windows Azure)
    • Moved by Brian AurichMicrosoft employee Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:17 PM migration (From:SQL Azure - Archive)
    • Moved by Brad Calder Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:30 PM SQL question (From:Windows Azure Storage)
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:40 AM

All replies

• When you tried to connect via SSMS R2 what was the error message?

If it is a firewall issue the error message would indicate the IP Address. May be you should use the IP address in the error message to set up your firewall.

mysorian
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:49 AM
  • No, it should not be the firewall issue. As I've tried to open the firewall from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 for testing purpose.

I am quite sure, it's because proxy matter.

Just wondering how to connect SQL Azure from SSMS through proxy.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:01 AM
  • The error msg: Cannot connect to [databasename].database.windows.net.

Additional info:

a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL Server is configured to allow remove connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53).

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid you need to contact the Network engineer to add the address to the exception list. Otherwise, you cannot connect to the SQL Azure through the porxy.

For more information, you can refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee730906.aspx

Hope this helps,

Raymond
    Raymond Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:19 AM
  •  

Some proxy servers provide client side software that you can install on the machine where you are running SSMS.  The proxy client will automatically route the connection through the proxy server.  We use the Microsoft Client for ISA Server (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=05C2C932-B15A-4990-B525-66380743DA89&displaylang=en).

You need to ask your network admin if there is a similar option for your company's firewall.

You may also want to try using http://sqlazurelabs.com/houston.aspx to connect to your database from a web browser.

Tonyp
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Thanks answering Tony.

Yeah, my networking is working on TMG / ISA to solve the issue. I'll post the result whether it is successful when I try it later on.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:50 PM