none
Questions about name reservation RRS feed

• Question

• As a project for University we're developing a Windows 8 store app for a company, this project spans over a longer time so the app may not be ready for release for another year (or more).

As I've understood you're able to reserve an app name for a year, for free it seems (I haven't found any pricing information). After that year expires the app name becomes available for anyone to use again, so my question is if there is a way to reserve a name for a longer period and what the cost of doing this would be?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hey Jeff and Milton,

Thanks for the question. So long as your developer account subscription is active you may retain any app names or the developer name. So in this case, for a company the cost is $99 for each year for a company developer account. 

Additionally if you simply wish to maintain ownership of the app name, you could open and retain the name in an individual account ($19 a year) while the app is being worked on. Once you are ready to publish you could close your individual account and on the same day open a business account and reserve the name. Should it take longer than one year, fiscally that could work out for you if you prefer. The second route would require more work, but support is here to ease the process. 

I believe I covered what was asked, but if I missed anything please do let me know. Thanks for the posts you two!

- Robert

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:18 PM

All replies

• As a project for University we're developing a Windows 8 store app for a company, this project spans over a longer time so the app may not be ready for release for another year (or more).

As I've understood you're able to reserve an app name for a year, for free it seems (I haven't found any pricing information). After that year expires the app name becomes available for anyone to use again, so my question is if there is a way to reserve a name for a longer period and what the cost of doing this would be?

I would also be interested in knowing this answer as it pertains to a corporate entity. A situation I am facing is how to contractually enter into an agreement with a corporation on an app design with only one year to get the app submitted. There should be an app name extension process clearly defined. While on this subject, when did the one year app name reservation time period come into being and why isn't it in any version of the developer agreement?

Thank you, Jeff

• Edited by Jxff Friday, November 15, 2013 6:34 AM typo
    Friday, November 15, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Hey Jeff and Milton,

Thanks for the question. So long as your developer account subscription is active you may retain any app names or the developer name. So in this case, for a company the cost is $99 for each year for a company developer account. 

Additionally if you simply wish to maintain ownership of the app name, you could open and retain the name in an individual account ($19 a year) while the app is being worked on. Once you are ready to publish you could close your individual account and on the same day open a business account and reserve the name. Should it take longer than one year, fiscally that could work out for you if you prefer. The second route would require more work, but support is here to ease the process. 

I believe I covered what was asked, but if I missed anything please do let me know. Thanks for the posts you two!

- Robert

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:18 PM