none
Create icon to generate a secure email (add text string to Subject line) RRS feed

• Question

• Our organization has a secure email system where any email with the string [SECURE] at the beginning of the Subject line is sent securely (encrypted).

It would be really helpful to have an icon at the top of the Outlook screen that when clicked would add this string to the Subject line of an email.

Is this possible, and if so how would I do it? What permissions would I need to do this?

Would this be something that would have to be added by each Outlook user or is there a way, it could be installed for all users as an add-on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:26 AM

Answers

• >>>It would be really helpful to have an icon at the top of the Outlook screen that when clicked would add this string to the Subject line of an email.

Is this possible, and if so how would I do it? What permissions would I need to do this?<<<

According to your description, I suggest that you could create Outlook VSTO Add-in project, then customize Outlook Ribbon by using Ribbon(XML) or Ribbon(Visual Designer).

For more information, click here to refer about Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

and here to refer about Ribbon Overview

>>>Would this be something that would have to be added by each Outlook user or is there a way, it could be installed for all users as an add-on?

You could deploy an Outlook add-in by Using Windows Installer.

For more information, click here to refer about Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, September 2, 2016 8:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, September 5, 2016 5:27 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 6:20 AM

All replies

• >>>It would be really helpful to have an icon at the top of the Outlook screen that when clicked would add this string to the Subject line of an email.

Is this possible, and if so how would I do it? What permissions would I need to do this?<<<

According to your description, I suggest that you could create Outlook VSTO Add-in project, then customize Outlook Ribbon by using Ribbon(XML) or Ribbon(Visual Designer).

For more information, click here to refer about Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

and here to refer about Ribbon Overview

>>>Would this be something that would have to be added by each Outlook user or is there a way, it could be installed for all users as an add-on?

You could deploy an Outlook add-in by Using Windows Installer.

For more information, click here to refer about Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, September 2, 2016 8:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, September 5, 2016 5:27 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 6:20 AM
  • I have an alternative solution that might even work better. Ask the user explicitly if they would like to encrypt an email whenever they are sending externally. Go check out https://www.safesendsoftware.com/doc-trigger-encryption/ for more information.

*Disclaimer: I work for the vendor.

• Edited by Dingoshark Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:41 PM