none
Bluetooth HCRP Notification Channel support? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 and newer provide a built-in HCRP Client implementation.  I've been able to use it and connect to printers that implement an HCRP Server.  Recently I've worked on implementing an HCRP Server of my own.  It would be great if my HCRP Server could provide a notification channel to provide detailed status information for my devices.

The HCRP specification defines a notification channel and setup procedure.  According to the spec, the HCRP Client initiates notification registration and herein lies the problem.  I've yet to see the Windows HCRP Client make such a request.  This kind of makes sense because the HCRP's Notification Channel Protocol is undefined beyond registration/management, and you can't write to an undefined protocol.

An IHV printer driver should be able to fix this problem, though.  All that's really missing is a way to send the notification registration request, set up the client's Notification Service Discovery Record, and read/write data on that channel.  What I'm not getting is, "How do I do this?" I was hoping to find something in the DDK documentation that would facilitate HCRP notification channels - an BTHPRINT IOCTL, for instance - but I haven't found anything definitive yet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up and use an HCRP Notification Channel with the Windows provided HCRP Client implementation?"

tl;dr;  HCRP defines a notification channel.  How do I get the Windows HCRP Client to use it?

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:45 PM

Answers

• Carlo,

The Windows HCRP implementation doesn't make use of the notification channel. Due to the low utilization of the Bluetooth print stack, we're not currently making any feature investments in that space.

Thanks!

Justin

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:29 AM

All replies

• Carlo,

The Windows HCRP implementation doesn't make use of the notification channel. Due to the low utilization of the Bluetooth print stack, we're not currently making any feature investments in that space.

Thanks!

Justin

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:29 AM
  • Justin,

This is a bummer, but I appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks!

Carlo

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:22 PM