Can download but not install the Windows 10 SDK RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My system is running Windows 10 1809 (corporate policy ;-( ).

I'm trying to install the latest Windows 10 SDK using the "Download the installer" link at https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

What the installer does is only download the bits, but it doesn't install anything -- message is "The features installed on this computer are up-to-date."

What's wrong / special on that system?

I've installed the SDK a zillion times, this is the first time I'm facing this!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:22 PM

Answers

• Indeed, the SDK is there.

But for some reason, while I had checked all checkboxes in the installer, some features, notably "Debugging Tools for Windows", had not been installed.

I would have expected that launching the installer would detect that and offer to add the missing features.

I found that using "Modify" would get me the expected feature selection dialog, from which I checked the unchecked checkboxes, and voilà!

Now my installation's complete.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Edited by sba923 Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:20 PM mistakenly hit Enter too soon
    • Proposed as answer by Rita HanMicrosoft contingent staff Friday, January 31, 2020 10:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by sba923 Sunday, February 2, 2020 9:31 AM
    Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hello sba923,

Try "download the .ISO" instead to see if it helps.

And check the following path to see if the SDK already installed in your machine.

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib

Please let me know if it helps.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 2:40 AM
  • Hi Rita,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'd forgotten to mention that, but I'd already tried installing from the ISO.

Launching the installer from there gets me the same message:

Here's what I have under C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib:

but there's not much in that subfolder:

Where do I go from here?

Thursday, January 30, 2020 2:04 PM
  • This indicates that the SDK is already installed on that system.

If you check under Programs and Features you should find:

If you check under Apps you should find:

The fact that it tells you that the features installed on this computer are up to date should indicate that the SDK is already installed.

Also, there is no sign of the 1809 SDK installed there. So are you sure that the version of the Windows SDK installed is the version you think it is?

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 4:15 PM
  • Indeed, the SDK is there.

But for some reason, while I had checked all checkboxes in the installer, some features, notably "Debugging Tools for Windows", had not been installed.

I would have expected that launching the installer would detect that and offer to add the missing features.

I found that using "Modify" would get me the expected feature selection dialog, from which I checked the unchecked checkboxes, and voilà!

Now my installation's complete.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Edited by sba923 Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:20 PM mistakenly hit Enter too soon
    • Proposed as answer by Rita HanMicrosoft contingent staff Friday, January 31, 2020 10:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by sba923 Sunday, February 2, 2020 9:31 AM
    Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:18 PM
  • Hello sba923,

Tools will be in BIN folder at, for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.18362.0\x86. You can check it.

And which tools are you talking about? For me, WinDbg at following path:

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 31, 2020 1:35 AM
  • Hi Rita,

Now that I have followed the "Modify" path to add the missing features, WinDbg is present.

It's just weird that the installer doesn't automatically switch to the "add/remove features" mode.

Friday, January 31, 2020 8:37 AM
  • Hello sba923,

Glad to hear you get it working.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 31, 2020 10:32 AM
  • Could you report the installer issue internally?
    Friday, January 31, 2020 11:26 AM
  • I had the same experience with Windows 20.04. I didn't like it much, kept going round in circles - Downloading, going the location, running the setup.exe, it downloads again and tells me where to find itself. I don't remember the SDK's ever installing like this. It's horrible.
    Friday, June 26, 2020 2:22 AM
  • Are you sure that you are reading the text properly?

When you run the SDK setup when the SDK is already installed, the very first window it shows is:

Notice how it says "The features installed on this computer are up-to-date."? But also notice how it states "To download the Windows Software Development Kit".

If you click Continue, the next window that is displayed is:

If this looks familiar then this is the normal operating mode for the SDK setup.

If the SDK isn't installed, then it will give you the choice between installing it and downloading a standalone version of the SDK. This standalone version can then be used to install the SDK on a computer that does not have an internet connection.

If the SDK is installed, then it will tell you that it is installed and up to date and then only give you the choice to download the standalone SDK.

You can verify this by checking Control Panel->Programs and Features:

or Modern Settings->Apps->Apps & Features:

You should find the SDK already installed. So everything you have described seems like it is by design.

If you don't, then post screenshots of what is actually happening.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:56 AM