Strange SP2 installation failure. RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the SQL Server setup instructions exactly (almost) from the Visual Studio Team Foundation Guide and got this error, and since this installation of SQL Server must work with TFS, varying from those instructions is not a good idea..

I installed SQL Server following the instructions exactly in the guide with one exception.  After researching and finding that SQL Server 2005 SP2 is supposed to work with TFS, where the instructions in the guide say to install SQL Server 2005 SP1, I installed SQL Server 2005 SP2 instead.

The installation of SP2 went exactly right except for one thing.  I got a failure updating client components.  And, according to the instructions in the TFS installation guide, I hadn't installed any client components.  I also, again as instructed in the guide, did not install notification services.  And yet the error for the installation implicates notification services as well.  Here's the text:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : Client Components
    Product Version (Previous): 1399
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQLTools9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_tools.msp.log
    Error Number              : 29549
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29549  Failed to install and configure assemblies c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\NotificationServices\9.0.242\Bin\microsoft.sqlserver.notificationservices.dll in the COM+ catalog. Error: -2146233087
    Error message: Unknown error 0x80131501
    Error description: The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is odd since I didn't install notification services. 

The Windows installation that the SQL Server was being installed on is a brand new and updated Windows 2003 Enterprise VMWare virtual server.

So my question is two-fold.  Is this error going to break my TFS installation?  It seems that TFS is quirky enough without errors adding more to the problem.

Secondly, if this is a bug in the SQL Server 2005 installer or the SP2 installer (after all, how else would my new W2K3 installation even know that notification services exist since I didn't install notification services),  are there any updated installation instructions forthcoming to handle or work around this issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Dale Preston

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:20 AM