Wrong files in changesets after import from TFS 2008 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We've recently imported collection from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012. And found out strange issue with files in the changesets. 

If you try to compare revisions on files in some changesets from Visual Studio you see completely different files compared (newest revision file is wrong). Sometimes you can't even get comparison as binary file is referenced instead of the right file. However if you try to compare the same files from the web, all changes are correctly shown and correct files are compared.

What can cause this issue? Is there a way to fix this?

We've run the import using TFS 2012 Update 1. 

Monday, December 31, 2012 9:04 AM

Answers

• Peter and I were able to get to the bottom of this on his server.  In case others run into this it turned out to be a stale proxy cache issue.  We were able to get around this by renaming the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 11.0\Application Tier\Web Services\_tfs_data\<GUID>\Proxy directory.  After renaming that directory and restarting the application pool the content started showing correctly again from the client.

Thanks,
    Taylor
    TFS Version Control

• Proposed as answer by pvitt Monday, February 11, 2013 2:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 1:58 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Pavel, 

Thanks for your post.

You compared the files in VS 2012?

According your description, compare the same file in TFS Web Access, that works correctly, but the compare is incorrect in VS. Please share the screenshots here separately, about compare the same file in Web and in VS.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Hi Pavel, 

If misunderstood anything, please describe your question in more detail and we will be able to provide the better responses.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:51 AM
  • From Web:

From VS 2012:

Developers have tried using VS 2010, issue is there.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:26 PM
  • As you can see, absolutely different file is compared from VS2012.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your reply.

Please install the Update 1 for both VS 2012 and TFS 2012.

I think we should find out this issue relate to the client(VS 2012) or TFS 2012 Server,try to clean the Cache for TFS 2012 manually(delete the content of the folder only, not the cache folder itself):

1.        Clean the Cache folder on client computer. The folder path is: C:\Users\username(Team Explorer user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    2.        Clean the Cache folder on Server machine. The folder path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Web Access\Cache_v11.0. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    3.        After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

Then confirm the follow question: 

1        Only some/several changesets(which import from TFS 2008) occur the compare issue in VS 2012? Or all the changesets(which import from TFS 2008) occur the compare issue in VS 2012?

2        Try to compare the same changeset using VS 2012 on another client, and try to compare the same changeset using VS 2012 on TFS 2012 Server machine, then check the result separately.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:53 AM
  • Sorry for long reply, I was on vacation.

Import was done on the TFS 2012 Update 1. I've updated VS 2012 to Update 1, cleared cache but no luck :(

1. Only some of the changesets have this issue.
    2. Same issue can be observed using VS 2008 and VS 2010 from other PCs in the network. But not from web browser.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hello John,

We are facing the same problem. Last week we migrated from TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 after the patch for TFS 2012 Update 1 was release. Today one developer called "Get latest version" on a branch and one file seemed to contain the content of another file from another Team Project. The web frontend shows to correct content. Error was reproducable on all machines we checked.

The wrong content seems to be added to the file with changeset 8277 (checked in on December, 5th). This changeset was checked into the trunk. The branch was created after changeset 8277 so that it also contains the wrong content.

I reactivated our old TFS 2010 and checked the file there. The changeset 8277 contains the correct file and therefore the branch also contains the correct data.

Any help appreciated...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Hello,

This sounds like a serious problem and one we would like to help you diagnose immediately.  Can you contact me at taylaf (at) Microsoft (dot) com so that we can set up a meeting?

Thanks,
    Taylor
    TFS Version Control

Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Also, if it helps, my suspicion is that there is a proxy or a file cache somewhere that is causing this problem.  That explains why things look correct in web access but not when they are downloaded from the client.  Do you have a proxy or an AT cache that existed before the upgrade?

Thanks,

Taylor

TFS Version Control

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:11 AM
  • Also possible: problem with the workspace (local and/or server based). Try to cleanup your workspace or add a new, additional workspace.

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Peter and I were able to get to the bottom of this on his server.  In case others run into this it turned out to be a stale proxy cache issue.  We were able to get around this by renaming the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 11.0\Application Tier\Web Services\_tfs_data\<GUID>\Proxy directory.  After renaming that directory and restarting the application pool the content started showing correctly again from the client.

Thanks,
    Taylor
    TFS Version Control

• Proposed as answer by pvitt Monday, February 11, 2013 2:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 1:58 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 2:19 PM

Thanks,
    Taylor
    TFS Version Control

Solved the problem in a lot of customer installations for me.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:10 AM
  • This also worked for me as well.
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:35 AM