• General discussion

• On this test: *http://html5test.com/

I got the following results where bigger is better:

Google Chrome: 288

Firefox: 255

Opera: 234

Safari: 228

IE9: 130

It must be a little depressing for the developers when your brand new product is in last place right out of the shoot? So who do you suppose is responsible for writing the excuses, the engineers or the marketing people?

* Note, this is not a javascript speed test. It is an HTML 5 feature
    implementation survey.

• Edited by Time Bandit Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• Who cares? I still have to support IE6, IE7, and IE8, so I'm not going to be doing anything mission-critical with HTML5 anyway. Fun to play with, maybe, and if I get a client who's willing to pay for the extra billable to target HTML5, fine. But for bread and butter it's not in the picture...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:39 PM
  • You're fixated by the raw numbers (and new, shiny stuff nobody uses). It may be that the 130 scored by IE covers 99% of the important features of HTML5. It may also be true that Firefox misses some important stuff that IE hits and sails through the frippery that is less important. That's a test of 400 items, any one of which only a fool would include in their website at this time without a fallback for most browsers.

Those numbers are meaningless without a side-by-side comparison of which exact features each is up to speed on (keeping in mind that they may change tomorrow or next week with a new HTML5 revision).

Those scores are meaningless, since HTML5 is a moving target. And nobody's going to code for HTML5 anytime soon without providing conditional support for other browsers, and that's just too much trouble; there's no return on the time spent. If MS was at all worried about what bleeding-edge fanboys thought of their browser, they'd have waited to release it until they scored higher (You think they didn't try those tests?). Clearly they have better things to do. So, it's just a browser, right out of the CHUTE or not. People will use it or not. MS doesn't need any bragging rights.

In fact, nobody has any bragging rights. The top browser only has a score of 72%. Barely passing in my classes. It's too early to rely on HTML5 in any browser.

A Wisconsin parable:
    A Billionair­e CEO, a tea partier and a union worker are sitting around a table with a dozen cookies on a plate. The CEO grabs 11 cookies for himself and then tells the tea partier that the union member is after some of "his" cookie.
    Would you like some Koch with that cookie?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:58 PM
  • I'm working on a drag and drop multiple file upload system for our computer challenged users. It works great with Firefox and those same users don't seem to have any trouble loading Firefox onto their system whether is a Windows, Mac or Linux system. If drag and drop doesn't work then they are left with the old fashioned one at a time photo upload. I had kind of been hoping that that HTML5 feature was going to make it into IE9 but it didn't happen.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Why get depressed if IE 9 is much better than previous versions? (It is, isn't it?)
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Thanks for the link: http://html5test.com/
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:00 AM
  • I think the reason that IE9 is not at the top of the heap in that html5test is that the test itself uses features that haven't been officially announced as a standard.  MS is making sure that the code and syntax is rock solid across the board and only uses the finalized html 5 standard and won't break down the road.  A lesson well learned from IE6.  Time will tell but it is a very decent start out of the gate.
    RJ McNicol
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:38 AM
  • There is no official released "finalized" html 5 standard. HTML 5 has a few bits in the RC or Release Candidate stage. Some things are further along than others and the IE team had to choose which bits to support.

Until there is a consensus on what video & audio codecs to support there is nothing approaching "finalized" or as it is more properly called "Recommended" status since there is technically no "standard" but rather a published recommendation.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:07 PM
  • There is no official released "finalized" html 5 standard. HTML 5 has a few bits in the RC or Release Candidate stage. Some things are further along than others and the IE team had to choose which bits to support.

Until there is a consensus on what video & audio codecs to support there is nothing approaching "finalized" or as it is more properly called "Recommended" status since there is technically no "standard" but rather a published recommendation.

The WC3 committee in all their wisdom has stated that there will be no standard until there are multiple browsers that implement the proposed features in the same way. This to me is a chicken or egg question or a cart before the horse kind of thing. What might actually happen is that some piece of test code like the http://html5test.com/   becomes the standard because WC3 didn't take a stand. It's a lot easier to write a standards document once everybody has harmonized how they do things. Bottom line, it is to way to much to expect foresight and creativity on the part of a bureaucratic standards organization.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:20 PM
  • There are other places that have html 5 tests and the results maybe different depending on the suite. A fair bit of HTML 5 is in the proposal stage not even RC and there isn't even anything close to agreement on video or audio standards. Apple is proposing one they own the patent on saying that they won't charge royalties until 2014 or something like that.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Apple is proposing one they own the patent on saying that they won't charge royalties until 2014 or something like that.
    Well scratch that one off the list of candidates.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Tests can be built to favour or promote different aspects.

On http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/MazeSolver/Default.html I get:

Opera 11: 15 secs.
    IE 9: 19 secs
    Safari 5: 109 secs
    Chrome 10: 232 secs.

In real use I'm finding IE9 as fast or fast or faster than any other browser and far less prone to issues on this forum than IE 8 was.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:33 PM