Is Desktop going to have the same look as Metro UI?

Question

• Does anyone have any facts or at least good guesses regarding if the visuals of Windows 8 desktop (currently looks like Aero) will be changed to match the Metro visuals before final release? By this I mean only the colours, icons & other graphics, not the behaviour etc. The Start-menu has been changed, but new Explorer was shown with Aero.

The reason I'm asking is because we are about to rework an UI for a application that will not yet be done as full blown Metro app and also needs to work on Win XP and others. But since the UI will be used for some years to come, I would rather make the UI visuals (icons, colours etc.) to resemble Metro rather than the past. Are there any recommendations from MS or other parties?

• Edited by dee9 Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:47 AM

Answers

• Your Desktop application is still a first class citizen in the operating system.  For example, you will have the menus and chrome that you are used to.  Some applications to not lend themselves to the Metro UI style and therefore you develop desktop applications as you do today.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:38 PM