performance profiling native smart device app in emulator RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using VS2008 and have developed a native smart device app in C.  I would like to view stats on run-time performance.  What is the best way to do that?
    I tried using the RPM via the tutorial at http://blogs.msdn.com/stevenpr/archive/2006/04/17/577636.aspx but no stats are taken.

Any help would be great.  Thanks,

Gerald
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:33 PM

Answers

• The RPM you found is for applications developed using .NET Compact Framework. You wrote your app in C. Wouldn't you need to use .NET to be able to use the RPM?

I think what you are looking for is called Remote Call Profiler. It was included with eVC4, but in VS2008, I believe it is only included in the Team editions.

Depending on the nature of your app and hardware platform, you could probably download eVC4 and compile your app with it unless you have the team edition of VS2008. Be sure to add the compile flags to enable profiling.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:17 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• The RPM you found is for applications developed using .NET Compact Framework. You wrote your app in C. Wouldn't you need to use .NET to be able to use the RPM?

I think what you are looking for is called Remote Call Profiler. It was included with eVC4, but in VS2008, I believe it is only included in the Team editions.

Depending on the nature of your app and hardware platform, you could probably download eVC4 and compile your app with it unless you have the team edition of VS2008. Be sure to add the compile flags to enable profiling.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:17 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hello,

You can use Remote Performance Monitor tool to measure application performance.

Please go through Microsoft Documentation before using Remote Performance Monitor. Just you need to follow some simple steps to use Remote Performance Monitor.

Pre-requsite :- Establish Connection with the target mobile device with PC. Generally if you use active sync your life will be much simpler. You can specify Target and Startup server both as a Active Sync which does not require any settings at all.

If you need any more details regarding connection management, please do ask.

Regards,
    Krishna K Kandula
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:50 AM