Encrypting / Protecting an excel file with a key file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm trying to implement a solution that would mitigate the risk of having employees copy and leave the company with important Excel and Access files. Encryption is available in Excel / Access whereby the file is encrypted with a password. This is not very useful because the password would have to be shared with all users, and the users could easily copy the file, bring it home and use it.

I thought of somehow using a key file: Essentially, upon opening, Excel/Access would check in a hidden location for a key file. If the key file is not present, the excel/access file cannot be open.

With cloud storage become more and more prominent, I am just trying to make these files useless to unauthorized users.

Is that even doable? Do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks !

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:04 PM

All replies

• I forgot to mentioned: in my research, I thought I found a solution when I realized that a Yubikey could handle static passwords. This would have been great: We just encrypt the Excel file using a strong password. We load the password on the Yubikey and give one to every employee. However I later realized that when tapped the Yubikey types the password in plain text in any application. This mean everyone would know the password, which defeats the purposes.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:07 PM
  • Hi SL02,

you can try to check the File path and office username when you open Access db or Excel file.

if file path not get matched then you can delete all the contents of file.

you can try to write code that get execute on _Open event.

then you save the paths in code which you want to allow to access.

if path does not get matched then you delete all important data from the file.

then you can put a password on VBA code to make it secure.

keep that password with you and not share it with any other employee.

this way they can use the file but not able to take it with them.

but here they can suppress the _Open event. if they press Shift key.

you can disable Shift key on your machine by code but you can't do this with their machine.

so you need to think about work around this issue.

there is no any other way to secure file 100%. as there are so many other alternatives available to share file and data.

Reference:

Protect Macro

Bypass startup options when you open a database

in other option , you can send mail to your email id when file path is not same.

so when someone take the file with them and try to open it , it will send a mail with username.

so you will come to know that who take the file.(Internet Connection needed).

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi SL02,

I can see that you did not responded on this thread from long time.

if you got the solution by yourself then try to post the solution here and mark it as an answer.

so that we can clos this thread.

if your issue is still exist then you can refer the suggestion above and try to solve the issue.

if you have any further question then let me know about that.

I will try to provide further suggestion.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:17 AM