none
Share modeling project files (add as link) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I'm currently working on a large-scaled project with which I've decided to maintain multiple modeling projects (a global one, and one for each version). So here comes the problem: I cannot find the "add as link" option for modeling project files such as layerdiagram, usecasediagram, etc.

Thanks a lot,

Shiroyacha

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Shiro,

I'm not sure this is possible because I think each modeling project, and its model, is self-contained. This means that the modeling elements and diagrams in a project belong only to the model that's defined by that project. Diagrams are just different views of the elements in that model.

You can create new blank diagrams in each project and copy elements between projects, but changes to those elements aren't mirrored.

Sharing diagrams across projects can cause problems as you can read in this section and this section of MSDN:

"Do not add, drag, or copy an existing layer diagram from a modeling project to another modeling project or to another location in the solution. A layer diagram that is copied in this way will have the same references as the original diagram, even if you modify the diagram. This will prevent layer validation from working correctly and might cause other issues, such as missing elements or other errors when trying to open the diagram."

"Do not add, copy, or drag existing diagram files to other modeling projects or to other locations in the solution. This causes elements to disappear from the copied diagrams or errors to occur when you open the diagrams. You must open the diagram file from the modeling project in which it was created. This is because a UML diagram is a view of the model that is owned by its modeling project. To copy a diagram file, create a new diagram, and then copy the elements from the source diagram to the new diagram."

Esther Fan | Visual Studio | If a post answers your question, please mark it as the answer. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Shiroyacha,

Can you clarify what you mean by sharing? You can link modeling diagrams and elements to work items, but you should start from the diagram or element, not the work item.

Esther Fan | Visual Studio | If a post answers your question, please mark it as the answer. Thanks!

Friday, March 7, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Hi Esther,

Sorry for not being clear, I would like to share a modeling diagram within different modeling projects. E.g. the GLOBAL project has a general layer diagram that I would like to "add as link (as for c# files)" to sub-projects so that any change will apply to all the linked layer diagram. I use the sub-projects for specific solutions and I don't want to include the GLOBAL project all the time.

Monday, March 10, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi Shiro,

I'm not sure this is possible because I think each modeling project, and its model, is self-contained. This means that the modeling elements and diagrams in a project belong only to the model that's defined by that project. Diagrams are just different views of the elements in that model.

You can create new blank diagrams in each project and copy elements between projects, but changes to those elements aren't mirrored.

Sharing diagrams across projects can cause problems as you can read in this section and this section of MSDN:

"Do not add, drag, or copy an existing layer diagram from a modeling project to another modeling project or to another location in the solution. A layer diagram that is copied in this way will have the same references as the original diagram, even if you modify the diagram. This will prevent layer validation from working correctly and might cause other issues, such as missing elements or other errors when trying to open the diagram."

"Do not add, copy, or drag existing diagram files to other modeling projects or to other locations in the solution. This causes elements to disappear from the copied diagrams or errors to occur when you open the diagrams. You must open the diagram file from the modeling project in which it was created. This is because a UML diagram is a view of the model that is owned by its modeling project. To copy a diagram file, create a new diagram, and then copy the elements from the source diagram to the new diagram."

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:35 PM