VS2010 Editor Scrolling PROBLEM RRS feed

• Question

• A new problem cropped up in VS2010: when I scroll the editor the display gets garbled, as though there are regions of the editor window that scroll and some that don't. Makes it next to impossible to edit your code.  You have to keep forcing a screen repaint by either using pgup/pgdn or minimize/restore, etc.

It was working fine on this PC for about a week and a half.  Started acting up yesterday. 

Tried uninstalling everything I could think of and nothing seemed to affect it.  Uninstalled VS2010 and SP1 and reinstalled but problem remains.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi, Lucy.  Thanks for replying.  I had tried uninstalling pretty much everything that had been installed over that week.  None of that fixed it.

I found some useful information on this page: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/575376/visual-studio-2010-code-editor-problems

It turned out to be the application LogMeIn which had failed to uninstall the video driver it had added.  When I removed that manually the problem went away.

I should add that in my previous employment I used LogMeIn extensively with no problems at all, so this was a surprise to me.

At any rate, thank you for responding.

P.S. Loved you in "Payback"!  (sorry, I'm sure you get goofy jokes like that all the time)

Friday, October 28, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

>> It was working fine on this PC for about a week and a half. Started acting up yesterday.

What did you install yesterday? Maybe something you installed affects the VS2010.

In addition, you can try the following solutions:

1. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

2. If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

3. If we disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

4. If we use “devenv.exe /resetsettings”, does it solve the problem? It restores Visual Studio default settings.

5. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

If you still have concern about this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Hi, Lucy.  Thanks for replying.  I had tried uninstalling pretty much everything that had been installed over that week.  None of that fixed it.

I found some useful information on this page: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/575376/visual-studio-2010-code-editor-problems

It turned out to be the application LogMeIn which had failed to uninstall the video driver it had added.  When I removed that manually the problem went away.

I should add that in my previous employment I used LogMeIn extensively with no problems at all, so this was a surprise to me.

At any rate, thank you for responding.

P.S. Loved you in "Payback"!  (sorry, I'm sure you get goofy jokes like that all the time)

Friday, October 28, 2011 12:53 PM
  • It sounds like this issue is caused by your LogMeIn. Not caused by VS IDE.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:57 AM
  • It sounds like this issue is caused by your LogMeIn. Not caused by VS IDE.

Sounds about par for the course.  I always flag LMI (and VNC) as a security risk when I do software audits.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:46 AM