Building error: Type or namespace name 'Reporting' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I get the following error when trying to build my project:
    "Error 2: The type or namespace name 'Reporting' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

I use VS 2005 Pro and I have installed (and re-installed) the ReportViewer package found in "Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ReportViewer".

I have checked that the web.config file contains the http-handler:
    <httpHandlers>
          <add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=XXXXXXXX"
            validate="true" />
        </httpHandlers>

Any ideas? I'm going crazy.

/Jonas
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 7:10 AM

Answers

• Are you building a Web Site project or a Web Application project?  For a web site project, make sure that your web.config contains the following:

<assemblies>
    <
    add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    <
    add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    </
    assemblies>

For a web application project, your project references need to include Microsoft.ReportViewer.Webforms.

-Albert

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:52 PM
  • Hi and thank you for your reply!

The project reference was missing! Thanks!

/Jonas
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:36 AM

All replies

• Are you building a Web Site project or a Web Application project?  For a web site project, make sure that your web.config contains the following:

<assemblies>
    <
    add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    <
    add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    </
    assemblies>

For a web application project, your project references need to include Microsoft.ReportViewer.Webforms.

-Albert

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:52 PM
  • Hi and thank you for your reply!

The project reference was missing! Thanks!

/Jonas
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:36 AM
  • I am using  VS 2017  and  I have added reference as below in web.config

<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845DCD8080CC91" />
     <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845DCD8080CC91" />

I have installed Nuget package for 

Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.WebForms version 150.1404.0

and 

Microsoft.SqlServer.Types version  14.0.1016.290

Still i am geting same error in VS 2017

Friday, October 30, 2020 4:51 AM