none
regtlibv12.exe lost in win2008 server ? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me what is the win2008 equivalence to regtlibv12.exe at win server 2008 ?

thanks in advanced

Monday, April 6, 2009 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Cievoloth,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand the issue more.

Regtlibv12.exe is the tool which is used to register the type library. It is installed with Visual Studio 2005. So it is not supposed to be there shipped with Win2008.

Do you need Regtlibv12.exe to register the type library? If yes, I found that Regasm.exe can generate and register a type library describing the types found in the assembly when you specify the /tlb option.
    For more information on Regasm.exe , see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tzat5yw6.aspx

I hope this information will be helpful. You can have a try. Let me know if it works.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:17 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Cievoloth,

More clarification with you. Do you mean that you cannot find regtlibv12.exe in your Windows Server 2008?

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Hi YiChun Chen,

Thanks for your answer but is not a "finding problem",  regtlibv12.exe is not present at its habitual path C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ and seems to be that is not even present in any place of the installation, I looked for it several times, so I think it should have an equivalent at Windows server 2008 or maybe it has to be installed as feature??

Kind regards

Cievoloth
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Hi Cievoloth,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand the issue more.

Regtlibv12.exe is the tool which is used to register the type library. It is installed with Visual Studio 2005. So it is not supposed to be there shipped with Win2008.

Do you need Regtlibv12.exe to register the type library? If yes, I found that Regasm.exe can generate and register a type library describing the types found in the assembly when you specify the /tlb option.
    For more information on Regasm.exe , see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tzat5yw6.aspx

I hope this information will be helpful. You can have a try. Let me know if it works.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:17 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:56 AM
  • I have Visual Studio 2005 installed on Server 2008 R2 x64, with all available updates, and regtlibv12.exe is not there. Regasm.exe doesn't work for me since I need to register a legacy TLB file and not generate a new TLB. How do I do that?
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Hello moderator - let's get this answered please. Remember, for everybody that speaks up, there's many who never do. 
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:31 AM
  • On Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and a Vista, I can only find it (regtlibv12) in the .Net Framework v4.0.30319 folder.

The old regtlib.exe is floating about on some of our PCs, but not all.

You might be able to register a type library by opening it in that old Visual Studio 6 util 'OleView'! But I haven't tried it. I see it's also in the Platform SDK.

There's a win32 api call to allow you to do it in code (LoadTypeLibEx (REGKIND_REGISTER)).

This may help, but it's hard work, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms221610.aspx.

Frankly I don't really understand why a type library needs registering anyway - isn't the COM component registered anyway and the typelib just a definition to pass to the compiler? Presumably not.

Anyway this here comment covers, I believe, all the possible ways to get a type library registered and, it seems, that may be something you need to do for 'cross-context marshalling', probably when mixing COM and .NET.

• Proposed as answer by Miles1 Friday, June 3, 2011 2:19 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:16 PM
  • It's missing here too on new installs with Win 8/VS2010/VS2012.

It's more than a definition that is simply passed to the compiler.  It is required for proper COM marshaling in multithreaded or out of process applications.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:30 PM
  • With more recent Visual Studio versions installed, you will get the same functionality with regtlib.exe which is found in %WINDIR%.

It works the same way as regtlibv12.exe

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:18 PM