none
MS Project - Start-to-Finish relationship with two successors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I do not manage to solve an issue and would highly appreciate any support.

Issue:

- I have fix milestones which I would like to use as fix points to tell me when activities are required to start (depending on their duration)

- as a consequence, I have started backward scheduling through start-to-finish relationships starting at the milestones when the activities should be finished

- as progress will be tracked only at the milestones, they are the most important dates when activities need to be finished, if they are moved, all tasks may generally be used (the plan is to rather display when activities must start then when they actually do start to give guidance to the employees in charge of the tasks)

- some tasks have dependencies with a milestone (=deliverable) as well as other tasks

Problem: No matter which relationship types I apply, I do not manage that the "constraints" given by all relationships are considered

Example:

- Milestone 1 is on June 30

- Task A and B should be completed at milestone 1

- Task B can only start when task A is completed

- as explained above, I would like milestone 1 to be a fix date which if moves influences dates of task A and B accordingly

Among others, I have tried the following solution:

- Task A: in predecessors - task B (SF) and milestone 1 (SF)

- Task B: in predecessors - milestone 1 (SF)

- Result: Task A and Task B both finish with milestone 1 neglecting the condition of task A to be a predecessor to task B (in SF mode)

- completion rate of all tasks is set to 0%, if I leave out the relationship between task A and milestone 1, task A finishes at it should just before task B needs to start to finish at milestone 1

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Benjamin

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:36 AM

Answers

• Bonjour,

J'allais dire la même chose.

Forget sf (my favorite pun is that it means Science Fiction)

Use fs AND SHOW THE COLUMNS LATE START AND LATE FINISH

Start and finish show when you CAN start the task

Late Start and Late finish will be calculated based on the successors i.e. The fixed milestone.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by BFI50 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Benjamin,

I'd like to be sure to understand well because it sounds like you did it right. Here what I tested, please tell me if it suits to your need.

I have the following relationships:

If I increase task A duration, the milestone will not moved. Only task B will moved backward, which is what you need (as I understood).

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:50 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

thank you for your support. Unfortunately, this is not quite my issue. I have set up a general example in MS project to illustrate the issue, but unfortunately I am not allowed to post pics here.

So I will explain what I have set up.

- 2 tasks: task A, task B (only duration fix)

- 2 milestones: milestone 1, milestone 2 (fix dates)

- task A needs to finish before milestone 1, task B before milestone 2

- also task A needs to finish before task B starts

I would like to know when I need to start with task A and when with task B in order for these conditions to be met.

(Issue: with relationship type SF, task A will start right before milestone 1, task B will start right before milestone 2, as a consequence, task A will NOT finish before task B starts)

I could also send you the respective MS project file if I had your email address.

Again, thank you very much!

Ben

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Yes please send me your file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps).

It will be easier then!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Salut Guillaume,

t'as recu mon email? tu comprends le problème? tu connais une solution?

Merci en avance!

Ben

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hello Ben,

J'ai bien reçu ton fichier, j'ai aussi bien compris ce que tu veux faire, mais je n'ai pas trouvé de solution encore! Je cherche encore!

Je te tiens au courant!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Salut Guillaume,

merci encore pour ton support. J'ai juste parlé avec un de mes colleagues qui m'a forcement recommendé de pas utiliser "sf" (backward scheduling), mais plutôt "fs" (forward scheduling", même si la logique en générale est d'avoir une date fixe et les activités qui regardent cette date ...

Néanmoins, si tu trouve la solution en générale, j'aimerais la savoir!

Bonne semaine!

Ben

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Bonjour,

J'allais dire la même chose.

Forget sf (my favorite pun is that it means Science Fiction)

Use fs AND SHOW THE COLUMNS LATE START AND LATE FINISH

Start and finish show when you CAN start the task

Late Start and Late finish will be calculated based on the successors i.e. The fixed milestone.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by BFI50 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Hi Jan,

thank you very much, this is an awesome hint! Probably appears like basic knowledge to you, but so far I had not known these columns (although I knew about the standard columns that might be added, but haven't checked out all of them, yet). This should fulfil my need completely.  

Best regards,

Ben 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:54 PM