none
License information regarding redestribution of Microsoft Office 2010: Primary Interop Assemblies Redistributable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

for my company I am writing Microsoft Project Add in and I use DLL in Microsoft Office 2010: Primary Interop Assemblies Redistributable . the DLL I use is Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.dll. I have included that file in to my code and I hope to redistribute it to customers. Is it permitted to redistribute Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.dll with my code?

Appreciate your reply

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hello Janako,

You can freely distribute PIAs with your software. You can find the EULA while installing PIA on one of the wizard pages.

Be aware, you can embed all the required interop types into the application. In that case there is no need to include any PIAs with your software. Starting from .net framework 4.0 the Embed Interop Types property is available on PIA references. You just need to set it to true to get types embedded into your application (assembly). See Type Equivalence and Embedded Interop Types for more information. 

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hello Janako,

You can freely distribute PIAs with your software. You can find the EULA while installing PIA on one of the wizard pages.

Be aware, you can embed all the required interop types into the application. In that case there is no need to include any PIAs with your software. Starting from .net framework 4.0 the Embed Interop Types property is available on PIA references. You just need to set it to true to get types embedded into your application (assembly). See Type Equivalence and Embedded Interop Types for more information. 

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:40 AM
  • Thanks for the information
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Hi Janaka

It's not clear whether you know this, but redistributing the PIAs will NOT provide the actual Office application to anyone who installs your Add-in. Users must have Project installed (and licensed) before they can install and run your add-in. And anyone who does have it installed probably already has the PIAs installed for that version on their machine. Later versions should automatically re-route the 2010 PIAs to that version's PIAs.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:28 PM
  • " You just need to set it to true to get types embedded into your application"

can you elaborate more on above statement saying how/where set it true?

Friday, October 23, 2015 6:25 AM
  • When the Reference to an Office interop library is selected in the Solution Explorer, in the Properties window there's an entry "Embed Interop Types". This should be set to True. See also:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee317478.aspx

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:03 PM