Migrating from 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are migrating many servers which were hosting SQL 2008 R2 to newer SQL 2016. I want to know the best practices when we de-commission the older servers.

These are the steps which we plan to follow:

• Migrate the databases to new server, then putting older ones on 'read-only' mode.
    • Migrate the logins to new server, then delete the logins on the old server.
    • Migrate all the SSIS jobs & Maintenance plans to new server. Delete jobs on old server.

While we ensure that there is no connection to the old servers, do we need to do anything before de-commissioning the older servers? Like, deleting the databases rather than putting in 'read-only' mode?

Ho do we make sure that no data on the older server gets compromised?

Is there anything which I am missing?

Regards,

Jatin Rajkumar

Friday, June 7, 2019 5:39 AM

All replies

• For old server do not delete anything UNLESS you are sure that your production is going good. In some cases there are jobs which run monthly so wait for a month before decommissioning. if something goes wrong you still have old server with DB in read only mode and every object intact.

For decommissioning take full user and system database backup, save it on tape drive, secure it  and simple format the machine

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, June 7, 2019 5:51 AM