none
the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Error when dlls copied to non-developement machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone help with this error.  I have a 32 bit mixed mode app writen in c++ and c# the app runs fine on my 64 bit windows 7 developement machine; howerver when I copy the files to another machine XP SP3 (either 64 or 32 bit) i get "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)".   I have checked for missing dlls with Depends and Redgates reflector and can find no problems. 

I Need to get this app runing by thursday please help.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since you have a mixed mode app file copy deployment is NOT an option.

Did you read the Visual C++ deployment guide? You need to publish Visual C++ files too. If you need more help on publishing Visual C++ files with your software, visit the Visual C++ general forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Realy!!!?  Why cannot I just copy files.  As this is a 2010 app side-by-side restrictions of the c++ dlls do not apply; therefor i can copy them in to the same dir as the exe.   the app does not use mfc or atl so thats not an issue. 

I did find this

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/586715/unmanaged-exe-linked-to-a-mixed-mode-dll-crashes-at-startup-on-some-xp-machines?wa=wsignin1.0

so many be this is the issue.

• Marked as answer by Steven Evans Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Sorry, I was assuming you are asking files generated by more popular Visual C++ editions. Do you know which file the loader is complaining about? Run procmon from sysinternal and filter for NAME NOT FOUND results may help you find the file.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by eryang Monday, January 3, 2011 7:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Steven Evans Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:26 PM
  •  

We temporarily mark a reply since the thread idle for a long time, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:21 AM