none
Visual Studio Code executable file (executable/x-executable) not running in CentOS

Question

• I am using CentOS and have downloaded zip version of Visual Studio code from official website. There is an executable file named "code" in the VS Code folder. But when I try to run it then it say, "cannot execute binary file.".

Permission of executable file is : -rwxr-xr-x

I did some research before posting this question here. An answer from superuser portal says that such problem occurs because of different processor architecture. So I checked architecture of my machine and file. I found that both are different.

Architecture of machine is  i686 while the architecture of vs code executable file is elf64-x86-64 .

I am not 100% sure if having different architecture is the exact reason behind not running it.

Please help me how can I solve this problem.

Monday, May 30, 2016 5:34 PM

Answers

• Hi SumitParakh,

According to the system requirement for Visual Studio Code, it can install on Linux (Debian): Ubuntu Desktop 14.04, Debian 7 and Linux (Red Hat): Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, CentOS 7, Fedora 23, which has been tested.

And additional Linux requirement for Visual Studio Code is GLIBCXX version 3.4.15 or later and GLIBC version 2.15 or later. Please check whether your CentOS satisfied with the requirement first.

If your CentOS is satisfied with the system requirement, please try with following steps to install the Visual Studio Code in Linux.

1. Extract the zip file using the unzip command to /opt/directory. Please run the following command in a terminal or a console: # unzip /tmp/vscode/VSCode-linux-x64.zip -d /opt/
    2. Launch the Visual Studio Code by executing a file named Code with below command:

# sudo chmod +x /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/Code
            # sudo /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/Code

Now, we can launch Visual Studio Code by running the following command in a terminal.

# code

In addition, more Visual Studio Code problem, I suggest you post to StackOverFlow forum with vscode for a better help, where has more Visual Studio Code experts can provide better suggestion.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vscode

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi SumitParakh,

Thank you for your post.

This forum is discuss Visual Studio Setup and installation.

As your issue is related to visual studio general questions ,I help you move this case to  Visual
    Studio general questions
    forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:34 AM
  • By any chance, are you trying to run an x64 binary on x86 operating-system?

With kind regards

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:53 AM
  • No. I've installed 64 bit CentOS in virtual box.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Ah,sorry. Just asked because you mentioned 'Architecture of machine is i686 ', which FAIK indicates 32-bit in Linux.

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36581

With kind regards

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 6:39 AM
  • The version i had selected at the time of installation is RedHat 64 bit.

Followed this article for installation:-

https:// extr3metech.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/centos-6-3-installation-in-virtual-box-with-screenshots/

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 6:49 AM
  • I can't post image and link in reply and question section. It says, "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account".  I checked my mail but couldn't find any confirmation mail. All i found was a mail to confirm the forum alerts. How my account can be verified?
    Wednesday, June 01, 2016 6:51 AM
  • Hi SumitParakh,

Please post in the following thread to ask for a requirement to verify your account:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/910ceecf-e32a-41d3-9b6b-5a9a1ec6c59d/verify-your-account-33?forum=reportabug

Best Regards,

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Done. Thank you
    Wednesday, June 01, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hi SumitParakh,

According to the system requirement for Visual Studio Code, it can install on Linux (Debian): Ubuntu Desktop 14.04, Debian 7 and Linux (Red Hat): Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, CentOS 7, Fedora 23, which has been tested.

And additional Linux requirement for Visual Studio Code is GLIBCXX version 3.4.15 or later and GLIBC version 2.15 or later. Please check whether your CentOS satisfied with the requirement first.

If your CentOS is satisfied with the system requirement, please try with following steps to install the Visual Studio Code in Linux.

1. Extract the zip file using the unzip command to /opt/directory. Please run the following command in a terminal or a console: # unzip /tmp/vscode/VSCode-linux-x64.zip -d /opt/
    2. Launch the Visual Studio Code by executing a file named Code with below command:

# sudo chmod +x /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/Code
            # sudo /opt/VSCode-linux-x64/Code

Now, we can launch Visual Studio Code by running the following command in a terminal.

# code

In addition, more Visual Studio Code problem, I suggest you post to StackOverFlow forum with vscode for a better help, where has more Visual Studio Code experts can provide better suggestion.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vscode

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 8:22 AM
  • Thanks a lot Weiwei and sorry for replying late. I have installed Cent OS 6.6 and that's why it was not working. Now i've installed Ubuntu 14.04 and VS code is running perfectly fine. Thanks once again.
    Friday, June 03, 2016 6:22 PM