none
Merging PowerPoint Presentations causing Problems with PowerPoint 2003 (Compatibility Pack) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have following scenario:

I need to merge PowerPoint Presentations together. These presentations are created in PowerPoint 2003 and saved as pptx (with Compatibility Pack). Furthermore these presentations contain Excel Graphs (which are represented as oleObject1.bin in the pptx).

To merge the presentations i use this snippet: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brian_jones/archive/2009/03/05/how-to-assemble-multiple-powerpoint-decks.aspx

But as a result, i'm not able to open the resulting PowerPoint Presentation in PowerPoint 2003. The error is like 'Cannot access file (This error can be caused by the following conditions: Your hard drive or floppy drive has a corrupt section, etc..)

The problem only occurs if:

• I merge more than two PowerPoint 2003 Presentations
    • At least 2 of them contains an Excel Graph

When i open the file in PowerPoint 2007, there is no problem. If i save it in PowerPoint 2007, and reopen in 2003, the problem seems also be solved.

The differences of both files (the original one and the 'PowerPoint 2007-fixed' one) are in the naming of the xml-files inside (slide1, slide12, slide13.xml vs. slide1, slide2, slide3.xml).

I've put my presentation to skydrive, it's the original one: http://cid-942c335ab76a7105.office.live.com/view.aspx/.Public/MergedPresentation.pptx

I hope someone can help.

Best regards

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tried to download the file but I couldn't.

Could you please share these files:

1. Original File
    2. Merged File
    3. Re-save the file in Word 2007.

Basically I would like to compare the File number 2 and 3 and see the difference.

Thanks,
    Ankush

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Ankush Microsoft Online Community Support
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:05 PM