.NET Framework issue? RRS feed

• Question

• User46957422 posted

Hi all...

I have developed a web page app in VS2005 under .NET Framework 2.0.  I created a folder on the server and copied the project.  Using IIS, I created a web page and pointed it to my app's directory.  After some struggling, I got past a number of HTTP 404 and 403 errors and got an error that implied that the site was now running, the famous "Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'".  I googled and found the answer of changing the ASP.NET property of my site.  Sure enough, it was set to v 1.1.4322.   I changed it to 2.0.50727 and browsed the site only to encounter an HTTP 404 error! 

So now  by simply toggling the website's ASP.NET property between 1.1.4322 and 2.0.50727 I can switch back and forth from the connectionstrings error to the 404 error.

I have verified that .NET framework 2.0 SP2 is installed on the server. 

Thanks for looking... any thoughts??

Chandler

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:10 PM

Answers

• User1597217033 posted

Hi  ccbryan

This article applies for Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0 environment.

Download ASP.net 2.0 framework form
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

Click on start then select Run. Copy and paste this command then click okay. That will reregister ASP.NET to IIS
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -I

from IIS go to ASP.NET tab and change the asp.net version to 2.0XXX
    (in IIS go to the specific virtual directory of the web application for which you are recieving this error.  Right-click on it, and in the properties there will be an ASP.NET tab which you can toggle to .NET)

From your Run command, type inetmgr and press enter.
    Expand the appropriate nodes in the IIS to locate the "Webservice Extensions" Node
    Click on the same.
    You will find a list of "prohibited" extensions in the right.
    Click on ASP.NET and "allow" it.

That should resolve this issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:53 AM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Possibly permissions.  Possibly not.  Tough to tell when all we know is that you have a 404 error.

Jeff

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:04 PM
  • User1597217033 posted

Hi  ccbryan

This article applies for Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0 environment.

Download ASP.net 2.0 framework form
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

Click on start then select Run. Copy and paste this command then click okay. That will reregister ASP.NET to IIS
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -I

from IIS go to ASP.NET tab and change the asp.net version to 2.0XXX
    (in IIS go to the specific virtual directory of the web application for which you are recieving this error.  Right-click on it, and in the properties there will be an ASP.NET tab which you can toggle to .NET)

From your Run command, type inetmgr and press enter.
    Expand the appropriate nodes in the IIS to locate the "Webservice Extensions" Node
    Click on the same.
    You will find a list of "prohibited" extensions in the right.
    Click on ASP.NET and "allow" it.

That should resolve this issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:53 AM
  • User46957422 posted

Ravikanth, thanks very much!  My problem was the Webservice Extension.  There was an extension for ASP.NET 1.1.xxx but none for 2.0.xxx.  I added an extension for 2.0 (using the existing 1.1 extension as a template) and that fixed me.

I appreciate the help!

Chandler 

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:43 AM