Is it possible to have a person rn a smallbasic program (the exe) without smallbasic ide? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a game that i have made, and i want to share it with my friends but they do not have smallbasic. Would they still be able to run the game?

Matthew

Sunday, October 2, 2016 2:54 AM

Answers

• would i send them the .dll and the exe in one folder?  YES

And when they run it, lets say i want the program to save a txt using the program.createdirectory(). Would it save the txt in that folder that it ran in?? YES, assuming you you save using Program.Directory()

Also the .dll's are created in the same folder that the program runs in right. YES

THe reason im asking i because i have a folder where i sav all my projects in and the only dll is the smallbasiclibray.dll, there is only 1 dll in the entire folder and its that one. Do i put that in the folder with the exe? YES

Matthew

Easiest is to just try it
    • Marked as answer by JetFire3201 Monday, October 3, 2016 12:27 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 8:07 AM

All replies

• Yes, you need to give them the exe and SmallBasicLibarary.dll (+ any extension dlls used).

Also, if your game uses images or music files, then your program should find them probably in the same folder as the exe.

To test this.

1. Create a new game folder (directory) somewhere
    2. Save your game there
    3. Run it from the SB IDE
    4. Run the exe created in this folder to test (eg. by double clicking the exe in Explorer)
    5. Give the folder (or a zip of it) to your friends

There may be some extra extension dlls if you have these - only the ones actually used by your program are needed - you can test by deleting any you don't think you need from the game folder.

Also, you can delete the game source *.sb leaving just the exe, required dll(s) and any image files etc.

• Edited by litdev Sunday, October 2, 2016 3:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nonki Takahashi Sunday, October 2, 2016 4:21 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2016 9:37 AM
  • would i send them the .dll and the exe in one folder? And when they run it, lets say i want the program to save a txt using the program.createdirectory(). Would it save the txt in that folder that it ran in?? Also the .dll's are created in the same folder that the program runs in right. THe reason im asking i because i have a folder where i sav all my projects in and the only dll is the smallbasiclibray.dll, there is only 1 dll in the entire folder and its that one. Do i put that in the folder with the exe?

Matthew

Monday, October 3, 2016 1:19 AM
  • would i send them the .dll and the exe in one folder?  YES

And when they run it, lets say i want the program to save a txt using the program.createdirectory(). Would it save the txt in that folder that it ran in?? YES, assuming you you save using Program.Directory()

Also the .dll's are created in the same folder that the program runs in right. YES

THe reason im asking i because i have a folder where i sav all my projects in and the only dll is the smallbasiclibray.dll, there is only 1 dll in the entire folder and its that one. Do i put that in the folder with the exe? YES

Matthew

Easiest is to just try it
    • Marked as answer by JetFire3201 Monday, October 3, 2016 12:27 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 8:07 AM
  • alright thanks.

Matthew

Monday, October 3, 2016 12:28 PM