none
Why does .NET Framework require 841 MB hard drive space on C: RRS feed

• Question

• Just downloaded .NET Framework 4 from Microsoft website. Installation says it requires 841 MB space on my C: drive. Why so much? I am presuming that this is in addition to the space for the other versions of .net installed. This is not going to be installed without a very good reason for this much space required. Can anybody enlighten me on this? Any way to lighten the space requirement load?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:21 AM

Answers

• First, I think you are confusing space required by the installer (during installation) with the final space requirement. I have v4.0 installed here on Win 7 Ultimate x64 (for use with Visual Studio 2010) the space requires for both the 32 and 64 bit frameworks is less than half the requirement you cite.

Did you download the full framework, including developer tools, or the client profile? If you are not a developer, you have no need for anything more than:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c1e3964-5c6c-440d-91dd-14cc1f42af95&displaylang=en

Speaking of need: if you are not a developer who wants to target Framework 4.0 (or any new version), why install a framework yourself? If you install an application that needs 4.0, the app installer should take care of it as part of the installation process.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hi thepilgrim,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, it might generate some temp files, which could be made use of windows.

After you have installed .net framework, it will be deleted these files from your machine.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:27 AM

All replies

• First, I think you are confusing space required by the installer (during installation) with the final space requirement. I have v4.0 installed here on Win 7 Ultimate x64 (for use with Visual Studio 2010) the space requires for both the 32 and 64 bit frameworks is less than half the requirement you cite.

Did you download the full framework, including developer tools, or the client profile? If you are not a developer, you have no need for anything more than:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c1e3964-5c6c-440d-91dd-14cc1f42af95&displaylang=en

Speaking of need: if you are not a developer who wants to target Framework 4.0 (or any new version), why install a framework yourself? If you install an application that needs 4.0, the app installer should take care of it as part of the installation process.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hi thepilgrim,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, it might generate some temp files, which could be made use of windows.

After you have installed .net framework, it will be deleted these files from your machine.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Hi thepilgrim,

I'm writing to follow-up this post.

Do the above suggestions help you solve your concerns?

I'm marking this post as Answered. If you have any findings or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:23 AM