none
Monitoring a fish tank RRS feed

• Question

• A while now I've been entertained by the idea of creating an aquarium monitor. The idea is simple: stick some sensors in your tank and monitor how it's doing. There are some ready made solutions out there, but these are quite expensive. Now these last years, more DIY projects have come around. One of the best (and simple) ones I was able to find is this one, based on Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.

That one seems pretty doable, even to a software guy like me who has little to no affinity with hardware and electronics. But... being a Microsoftie and hearing about Windows 10 shipping to Raspberry and these neat Galileo devices; I started wondering if I could build a similar experience using Windows / .NET instead of Raspbian. I am a pretty experienced developer, so writing the code should not be that much of a problem.

What I want to create is a device which read the sensors and posts the values to a webservice probably running somewhere in Azure. The data will be stored in a database and I'm looking to create a Windows Phone app (or heck, why not do a universal app while at it) to display the data. Could also do some cool stuff like notifications as soon as the temperature drops below a certain limit or water is detected in places that should really be dry.

The only thing I'm a bit afraid of is the availability of 'drivers' or similar packages to read the sensors. So I'm looking on some input on that. And then there is the choice of devices although the raspberry seems like a logic choice given that I already have a component shopping list for that.

Any thoughts / ideas are welcome & appreciated!

SharePoint architect / MCTS and MCPD SharePoint 2007 - 2013

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:05 PM

Answers

All replies