none
Create MSI for VSTO workbook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am fairly new to C# and I have a VSTO workbook I have created and I don't want to use the click once. Instead I would prefer to use the MSI installer.

How do I create an MSI installer for a VSTO workbook? I have found a lot of documentation on how to do this for an add-in but not sure if the process is the same?

Can I also install another application at the same time? (I have a windows application that are linked)

Many thanks,

Joe

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi JoeyStyles,

>>because I basically have a custom form that I want to include in the solution but I couldn't figure out how to install a VSTO project and a windows form into the same installation so I just used a MSI to combine them.

Do you have two projects? Do the two projects both work for Excel? Why do you separate the project? We could include a win form as an item in the VSTO project.

You could add a new item -> Windows Form

Then in ThisWorkbook_Startup or ThisAddIn_Startup to create a winform new instance.

E.g.

private void ThisWorkbook_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

Form1 f = new Form1();

f.Visible = true;

}

Besides, please visit the following link to check how to publish multiple projects for clickonce.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404233(v=vs.80).aspx

Best Regards,

Terry

• Marked as answer by JoeyStyles Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi JoeyStyles,

For deploying VSTO workbook project, you could refer to Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer. You could install multiple application in one MSI installer. For more question about Windows Installer, I suggest you create thread in ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects.

Best Regards,

Terry

Friday, July 7, 2017 6:27 AM
  • Thanks Terry but I keep getting errors for that link because it's meant for 2012 (I assume).

I will re-port my question. Thanks again Terry.

Joe

Friday, July 7, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Hi Joe,

>> I keep getting errors for that link because it's meant for 2012

What and when did you get error? What is your VS version?

In my option, the processes for MSI are same.

In addition, could you share us the reason that you did not want ClickOnce? In my option, ClickOnce is more convenient.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Hi Edward,

It came up with an error saying that this project couldn't be converted. I am using VS 2017 Community.

The reason why I didn't want to use Click Once was because I basically have a custom form that I want to include in the solution but I couldn't figure out how to install a VSTO project and a windows form into the same installation so I just used a MSI to combine them.

If I am going about this wrong please let me know, I really liked the update feature in Click Once although again I couldn't get this working for my solution as I do not have access to FTP server only One Drive.

Many thanks,

Joe

Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Hi JoeyStyles,

>>because I basically have a custom form that I want to include in the solution but I couldn't figure out how to install a VSTO project and a windows form into the same installation so I just used a MSI to combine them.

Do you have two projects? Do the two projects both work for Excel? Why do you separate the project? We could include a win form as an item in the VSTO project.

You could add a new item -> Windows Form

Then in ThisWorkbook_Startup or ThisAddIn_Startup to create a winform new instance.

E.g.

private void ThisWorkbook_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

Form1 f = new Form1();

f.Visible = true;

}

Besides, please visit the following link to check how to publish multiple projects for clickonce.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404233(v=vs.80).aspx

Best Regards,

Terry

• Marked as answer by JoeyStyles Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Sorry when i mean form it's a user application that requires interaction before the VSTO workbook is launched. 

But this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404233(v=vs.80).aspx is perfect!! Exactly what I am after.

Thanks Terry.

Joe

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:40 PM