none
How do I separate endnotes by chapter at the END of a document? RRS feed

• Question

• I know how to create sections and have the endnotes for each chapter appear at the end of each chapter starting at 1. That's not what I want to do. I want, like any professional book, to create a whole "Notes" section at the end of the book and then section off the endnotes for each chapter, starting at 1 for each chapter.

Example:

NOTES:

CHAPTER ONE:

[1]  Buddy T (2014) Symptoms of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders.

[2] (Ibid)

[3] Brian Hart, "TERRELL STATE HOSPITAL," Handbook of Texas Online.

[4] Kerr, P. (October 22, 1991) Chain of Mental Hospitals Faces Inquiry in 4 states. The New York Times.

CHAPTER TWO:

[1] Bolano, R (2006) Mining Mirror Vol. 19, p. 3

[2] Scott Adams, Dilbert (c) 2002 United Feature Syndicate, Inc.

[3] Szasz, T. (1994). Cruel compassion: Psychiatric control of society's unwanted. New York: Wiley.

[4] Szasz, T. (1973) The Second Sin. Anchor Books.

CHAPTER THREE:

[1] Buddy T (2014) Symptoms of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders.

[2] Allen Frances (2013) Saving Normal. (p. 95) William Morrow/HarperCollins Pubishing

[3] Robert Whittaker. (2010) Anatomy of an Epidemic. (p. 48-51) Crown Publishing Group.

[4] (Ibid) (p. 51-52)

[5] (Ibid) (p. 53-54)

You get the idea

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Merovie,

Based on your description, do you mean that you have a document which was like the Example?

>>like any professional book, to create a whole "Notes" section at the end of the book and then section off the endnotes for each chapter, starting at 1 for each chapter.

Could you share us a screen shot about the result you want? Do you want to achieve this manually or with vba code? If you want to achieve it manually, I think you need to insert and edit the endnotes, and the link below shows more information:

#Insert, delete, or edit footnotes and endnotes
    https://support.office.com/en-nz/article/Insert-delete-or-edit-footnotes-and-endnotes-54a7235b-6488-4b88-8ee7-f3d66d3372d9

In addition, this forum is discussing about Word developing, if you still have any issue about how to use the endnotes manually, I will recommend you go to the link below for help.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=officeitproprevious

If you want to achieve it automaiton, could you share us how do you want to achieve that? If you use the vba code, I think you could use the Endnotes Object, you could refer the link below:

#Endnotes Object (Word)
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff193326.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

>>I know how to create sections and have the endnotes for each chapter appear at the end of each chapter starting at 1.

Could you share us how you achieve this? If you want to achieve “to create a whole "Notes" section at the end of the book and then section off the endnotes for each chapter, starting at 1 for each chapter.”  with VBA code, I will recommend you create a macro, operate the steps, record the operation, and then edit the code to achieve what you want. If you have issues when you edit the code, it would be helpful if you could share us the key code and issue. A simple demo to reproduce your issue would be better.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:34 AM
  • It should be possible to modify the following macro to achieve what you are after:

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes at end of document

' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a superscript number.

'

Dim aendnote As Endnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab & aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

If you can send me a copy of the document, or put a copy of it in a folder on your OneDrive that you set to be shared and post a link to it back here, I will have a go at making the necessary modifications.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

Monday, April 6, 2015 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Merovie,

Based on your description, do you mean that you have a document which was like the Example?

>>like any professional book, to create a whole "Notes" section at the end of the book and then section off the endnotes for each chapter, starting at 1 for each chapter.

Could you share us a screen shot about the result you want? Do you want to achieve this manually or with vba code? If you want to achieve it manually, I think you need to insert and edit the endnotes, and the link below shows more information:

#Insert, delete, or edit footnotes and endnotes
    https://support.office.com/en-nz/article/Insert-delete-or-edit-footnotes-and-endnotes-54a7235b-6488-4b88-8ee7-f3d66d3372d9

In addition, this forum is discussing about Word developing, if you still have any issue about how to use the endnotes manually, I will recommend you go to the link below for help.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=officeitproprevious

If you want to achieve it automaiton, could you share us how do you want to achieve that? If you use the vba code, I think you could use the Endnotes Object, you could refer the link below:

#Endnotes Object (Word)
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff193326.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

>>I know how to create sections and have the endnotes for each chapter appear at the end of each chapter starting at 1.

Could you share us how you achieve this? If you want to achieve “to create a whole "Notes" section at the end of the book and then section off the endnotes for each chapter, starting at 1 for each chapter.”  with VBA code, I will recommend you create a macro, operate the steps, record the operation, and then edit the code to achieve what you want. If you have issues when you edit the code, it would be helpful if you could share us the key code and issue. A simple demo to reproduce your issue would be better.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:34 AM
  • It should be possible to modify the following macro to achieve what you are after:

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes at end of document

' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a superscript number.

'

Dim aendnote As Endnote

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab & aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

If you can send me a copy of the document, or put a copy of it in a folder on your OneDrive that you set to be shared and post a link to it back here, I will have a go at making the necessary modifications.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

Monday, April 6, 2015 8:47 AM