none
How do I hide or make inactive 'New' under the File tab in Microsoft Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We do not want our users accessing this command so I have added an new entry to display the legacy File New dialog box.

I am comfortable adding commands to the File tab in Microsoft Word 2010 (using Custom UI Editor) but I can't work out how to hide the 'New' command.  

Can anyone help me out with the appropriate xml to do this if it is possible?

Thanks so much in advance.

• Edited by Gill Scott Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:08 AM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:02 AM

Answers

• Here's the XML:

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" >
      <backstage>
        <tab idMso="TabNew" visible="false" >
        </tab>
      </backstage>
    </customUI>

Note that the New command is a Tab control, not a button, which is why you may not recognize the idMso from your work with 2010.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:38 AM

All replies

• Here's the XML:

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" >
      <backstage>
        <tab idMso="TabNew" visible="false" >
        </tab>
      </backstage>
    </customUI>

Note that the New command is a Tab control, not a button, which is why you may not recognize the idMso from your work with 2010.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Thanks so much for posting this :-)

Monday, August 12, 2013 10:52 PM
  • Hi Cindy

Sorry I only just got around to testing this XML code. 

I have added to XML to our startup template however it hasn't worked as I can still see 'New' under the File tab.  Perhaps I didn't explain myself in the first place?   I have other XML code in the template - could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Gill

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:13 AM
  • Hi Gill

I tested the XML I proposed before posting it - it works for me: when I have that code in an active Ribbon I don't see the New command in the File menu.

I can't imagine how other XML in the Ribbon.XML could affect this. You don't mention whether this is an "add-in" template or a "document" template. If it's the former it's possible that something else is overriding?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi Cindy

Sorry again for late response.  I don't seem to get any nofitication to say that anyone has responded so I keep thinking knowone has.

The template is named aGlobal.dotm and is saved in the startup directory so I guess it is an 'addin' template?

I tried removing all other addin templates and all other xml code (except the backstage .... idMSO="TabNew" .... visible="false"....) and that still didnt work. 

I am guessing it may therefore relate to our document management system. :-(

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Yay! I worked it out - operator error of course.  I was using <button idMso="FileNew" visible="false"/> rather than <tab idMso="TabNew"visible="false"/> even though I read your comments regarding it being a tab and not a button.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:15 AM