No User Interface Dialog Windows in SQL Management Studio for SQL Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

recently, I purchased a licence for SQL Server 2012 (packet "S0" - Standard, 250 GB)

When I connect with SQL Server Management Studio 2012 to this database, then all the user interface dialogs for creating tables, setting up users, etc. are gone.

You can only script and execute pure SQL text.

Even the table editor is gone, so you can even edit the data in a table!

If I connect to a local database, then everything works. So the problem must be related to the Azure Database. Can you please help me?

Kind regards
    Georg

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post. I am currently researching on this and will revert back to you when i have more information on this. Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Bharath

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Hi Bharath, thank you in advance!

Just FYI, this is what it looks like when I right-click on a table. There is no "Edit Table", no "Design Table" and anything like this. And it's the same for all other object types.

Regads, Georg

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi Georg Scholz,

Thanks for posting here.

the Server Explorer of Visual Studio 2012 supports connections to SQL Azure Databse servers. But you can also use the free SQL Server Express Management Studio 2008 R2 (or newer) to connect to SQL Azure or even use the designer in the SQL Server Management Portal.

Edit:

I see you would like to have a designer UI. as far as I know but Visual Studio 2012 does support this feature. If you don't want to switch to VS2012 you still can user the UI from the SQL Azure Management portal.

• Visual Studio 2012 Database Designer for SQL Azure from VS2012
    • SQL Azure Management Portal enter image description here

Also check out the SSDT (SQL Server Data Tool) which shipped along with SQL Server 2012 and integrated with VS2012. It support GUI for SQL Server as well as SQL Azure.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/tools.aspx

http://blogs.shaunxu.me/archive/2012/04/28/ssdt-ndash-makes-sql-azure-development-easy.aspx

Hope this helps you.

Girish Prajwal

• Proposed as answer by Mekh Subba Friday, November 21, 2014 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:48 AM
  • Thank you Girish,

I AM using the SQL Server Management Studio 2012 , but it does not work!

Well, I am also using Visual Studio 2013 Pro, so I tried it there now: Voila, here it works! But it is extremely super slow!Takes abvout 30 seconds to open up a table designer.

But well, at least this is something.

Still, I would prefer to use the SQL Server Management Studio, because at my client's site, I only can use the SQL Studio, I cannot use Visual Studio there.

Also, I will try the SSDT, later today.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Hello Georg,

I am afraid, not all features of SQL Server Management Studio are supported with Azure SQL databases(including Edit/Design table) . Please refer http://feedback.azure.com/forums/217321-sql-database/suggestions/476408-full-management-studio-support and vote your opinion.

Regards,

Kumar Bijayanta

• Proposed as answer by Mekh Subba Friday, November 21, 2014 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Georg Scholz Friday, November 21, 2014 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:49 AM