none
Unicode characters in the Ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• I have template that uses Unicode characters (a right-to-left language). There are six characters that are not part of the keyboard mapping, that I want to insert on-the-fly (instead of bringing up the Insert Symbol dialog). I created six buttons in the Ribbon to perform this.

I found an example of specifying &Hex characters in the buttons' labels, but they do not appear correctly on the buttons themselves (looked like some other characters).

I then created bitmaps of the characters and used the Custom UI Editor to import them as Icons. I'm not crazy about their appearance though, and would like to find a better solution.

Here is my question: If I'm not seeing the correct character appear when I specify the &Hex, is it because the Font used to display the Ribbon doesn't contain this particular Unicode character? If so...is there a way (in the XML) of specifying which Font to use for the Ribbon itself?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Paul D. Goldstein Forceware Systems, Inc.

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul D Goldstein,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

By which means are you customizing your ribbon? Ribbon Designer or Ribbon XML? And I'd like to know your System Language and Office language.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Hi Quist, I'm using XML in Office 2007 (VBA) under Windows 7. Paul

Paul D. Goldstein Forceware Systems, Inc.

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:36 PM