none
Internet explorer window opening when I run an app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I am testing off different apps from the store, and I noticed that an additional internet explorer window opens when I run an app. The window has a uri that starts with osf://apps/OSF_HostAppPresenceMutexName... Also, if I close this window, the app inside of the Office program closes.

Obviously this is not an ideal user experience. Is this a bug? When I first tried Office Apps a month or so ago, I did not have this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have experienced the same issue. You can resolve this by enabling the Protected Mode for the Internet Zone.

Thanks,

Joyanta Sen [MSFT]

Joyanta Sen

• Marked as answer by Appeality Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:42 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Appeality,

Another windows may be wcf service, if you close the wcf service, the app will of course be closed.

So this is not a bug. the behaviour is right.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hmm...I'm pretty sure this is not the intended behavior for every App for Office. It doesnt matter what app I open, an additional internet explorer window opens. Even when I am developing on my local server via Visual Studio. 
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Hi Appeality,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult my colleague on your issue. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Hi there,

So when you right click on the window, does a button named Silverlight appear?

Another good way is to report this issue to this site: https://connect.microsoft.com/ .

An intrduction is here http://blogs.technet.com/b/blogms/archive/2008/08/20/microsoft-connect-get-involved-early.aspx for your refference.

Regards,

Jenny

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Yes this sounds like a bug, it's not the intended design you're correct.

Are you still seeing this issue occur?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Hi there,

I have done a test on my win8 x64 machine following below steps:

1. install office developer tools for visual stuido 2012: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/apps/fp123627.aspx
    2. then create an app using App for Office 2013 template
    3. Run the app and test several apps from the store, it works well, and your issue does not occur.

and seen from your post"When I first tried Office Apps a month or so ago, I did not have this problem", maybe somthing on your system has changed causing the issue.

or you can share your repro steps.

BR-

Jenny

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hello,

I have experienced the same issue. You can resolve this by enabling the Protected Mode for the Internet Zone.

Thanks,

Joyanta Sen [MSFT]

Joyanta Sen

• Marked as answer by Appeality Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:42 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Ahh, ok. Thanks for the tip.
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:42 PM